Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumped on SIP Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnestel

Programmer
May 10, 2012
US
I am trying to add a SIP line for the first time. The IPO is 8.1 and the line should be going through LAN2. The provider is Nextiva. I used the Nextiva guide for the IPO programming and have looked at a number of threads here on tek-tips. Firewall/NAT Type is Blocking Firewall. I'm not sure I did STUN right. I tried using the IPO's LAN1 and LAN 2 IP addresses and one suggested in another thread. In the Netgear firewall I have opened ports 5060-5090, and based on other threads, I also opened 3478 and 49152-53246.

The line does not register. In Monitor, filtered with all of the boxes of the SIP tab checked, I don't see Manager even trying to register the SIP line. Everything I see related to SIP relates to a user's softphone. I searched for the ITSP Domain Name in the Monitor log and don't see that either.

Can anyone point me toward what I should look for? I have tried so many things my head is spinning.

first do you have SIP registrar enable on the system/LAN/VOIP tab? Disable Auto-create Ext. Second do you have SIP trunk licenses? Third change the default port from 5060 to something else and chenge the RTP ports to the new range 46750-50750 to take the management ports out.
Mike

System - LAN1 or LAN2 - VoIP - SIP Trunks Enable Check box

SIP registrar enable is checked, along with SIP Trunks enable. Yes I have licensing. Third, If I change the Default and RTP ports in LAN2, do I need to update the firewall to whatever ports I use?

yes you will need to update the firewall so that it will forward those ports. Also change the monitor trace on the SIP tab to verbose.

Teletechman - Netgear walked me through the firewall setup. We created an Inbound Services rule that always allows SIP-UDP traffic to the LAN2 IP address. I could change the service to just SIP, or UDP, or SIP-TCP...

There is also a Security/Services entry that specifies type: UDP, ports 5060-5090. That also could be changed to TCP.

Here look this over for the ports and the directions as well as the protocols. Just remember that these are default ports and most should be changed for SIP as I told you before. Also is SIP registrar enabled on LAN 2?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=90bd1efe-eace-478f-8eef-2aba83b862f7&file=Firewall_Ports_directiondoc.doc
OK in LAN2 I changed the default port to 5070 and the RTP to 46750-50750. On the firewall 5070 is already open and I added the RTP ports. Rebooted firewall and IPO. Line still does not register. Still no action in Monitor either - does that mean anything or is it a distraction for now??

How are you registering? is it via a user name and password or is there a SBC session border control onsite? Are you registering to a public address?

how is your LAN2 VOIP tab configured? and the Network topology tab?

Registering via User Name and Password provided by Nextiva.
SIP Trunks are enabled.

LAN2 VoIP:
H.323 Gatekeeper is not enabled. SIP Trunks are enabled. SIP Registrar is enabled. Auto-create extension and SIP Remote Extension not enabled.
I'm going to try to attach pictures for the rest.
IMG_2646_ngzhsb.jpg

IMG_2647_d7hsxs.jpg

Try putting your public IP in the field, and the port you are going to use (normally 5060) in the Public Port fiels. Is that STUN address correct? If not, ping stun1.l.google.com (that's stunONE dot ELL dot google) and put that IP in instead (I don't recall if 8.1 can ping by name if you have a valid DNS)

TTT, thanks for the STUN address tip, that brought up a different address. So I entered it, and entered the public IP address and the port. Then I ran STUN and it reverted the Public IP and UDP port back to zeros. I saved and rebooted Manager. SIP line still not registered.

I'm going to check in with the provider. I saw a previous post that had bad info from them.

Not sure how long you left it for but you may need a few minutes before the SIP trunk registers, unlike other trunks.

Discovered that we can't reach/ping the SIP server. Until we get that solved in the firewall, we're stuck. I'll post an update or more likely, questions about the next problem. :)

Do you have IP routes in the IP Office? Also do you have DNS set up for the SIP, you might have to use just IP Addresses on some releases. Can you ping anything out of the IP Office try 8.8.8.8
Mike

I have 2 IP routes:
192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.2.1 / LAN1 - this is for remote IP phones which are working fine. The Gateway is the private IP address of the Netgear firewall.

0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 / 70.58.151.xxx / LAN2 - this is for the SIP trunk. The IP address is the static public facing IP address provided by my ISP for the netgear router.

I got some help from Netgear over the weekend. They say the attempt to ping the Nexitva server is getting out, but Nextiva is not responding. I have left a msg. with Nextiva.

So does this mean you have a 70.58.151.xxx IP on the actual LAN2 port on the IPO?

| ACSS SME |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back