Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumped on SIP Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnestel

Programmer
May 10, 2012
US
I am trying to add a SIP line for the first time. The IPO is 8.1 and the line should be going through LAN2. The provider is Nextiva. I used the Nextiva guide for the IPO programming and have looked at a number of threads here on tek-tips. Firewall/NAT Type is Blocking Firewall. I'm not sure I did STUN right. I tried using the IPO's LAN1 and LAN 2 IP addresses and one suggested in another thread. In the Netgear firewall I have opened ports 5060-5090, and based on other threads, I also opened 3478 and 49152-53246.

The line does not register. In Monitor, filtered with all of the boxes of the SIP tab checked, I don't see Manager even trying to register the SIP line. Everything I see related to SIP relates to a user's softphone. I searched for the ITSP Domain Name in the Monitor log and don't see that either.

Can anyone point me toward what I should look for? I have tried so many things my head is spinning.

Yes, LAN2 on the IPO is set to 70.58.151.xxx

In that case then the network topology tab will not be used by you, so on the transport tab on the SIP trunk use network topology will be set to None.

Can you confirm the public IP is not actually internet capable and just allows communication to the relevant SIP trunk/provider?

Also if you have a public IP address on the LAN2 port on the IPO, you do not need any ports etc opening as the public IP stops the requirement for that.

| ACSS SME |

My earlier statement that I can't ping the Nextiva server is incorrect. The IP address I was trying to use won't respond to requests. Nextiva gave me a different IP Address and here we go:

The LAN2 port can ping the static public facing IP address provided by my ISP for the netgear router (regarding IP Route in thread above), but it can't ping the Nextiva data center.

I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 from LAN 2. I had different DNS servers entered from what Netgear has, so I change the IPO to match Netgear. No change.

The firewall can ping the data center. I'm thinking I have something wrong in IPO?

I'm going to paste another screen shot. In System Status I'm seeing 2 LAN2 routes. The first one corresponds with the LAN2 tab in Manager, the other corresponds (I think) with the results from running STUN. Does this tell us anything?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=993d4bd9-3028-427e-a848-ffea3ce84147&file=Untitled.jpg
Pepp77, I changed the transport tab as you suggested. Did a reboot, still no dice. I have a message in to the firewall folks about the public IP address. Thanks for everybody's continued help!

I had a guy who knows much more than I look at the IPO and the Netgear. I can't tell you what he all did. Changed the SIP line to look for LAN1, did away with the static IP, changed the firewall to do a one-to-one NAT. Nextiva had to delete and re-enter the phone number. Finally, it all worked. My biggest take-away is that I will hire this guy from the start next time. Thank you all for your help.

The way I learned was to watch over the shoulder of another tech while he did a couple for us and then to have him available for the next few to make sure I did it correctly. At least you have something to look at to see where you made the mistake.
Mike

It is perfectly fine, and generally a good idea, to pay someone who knows what they are doing to configure SIP trunks for you at least the very first time. You can watch what they do and learn quite a lot. Most techs are willing to show you some pitfalls and pointers if you ask. The only problem is every SIP provider is different. The good news as you continue to do SIP trunks you become more comfortable and start knowing where to look when certain things aren't working.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

if you got a non internet facing public ip address on LAN 2 depending on what subnet mask range you get given from the SIP provider/ISP. you will have to configure the ip route as follows.

70.58.151.XXX / 255.255.255.xxx / 70.58.151.xxx / LAN2 and use the default gateway address the ISP provided.

Then program the sip trunk to use LAN 2 network topology.

Then in under LAN 2 network topology

Stun - Nothing
Firewall type - Static port block or Unknown ( depends on what type firewall some work with one and some work with the other)
binding time 60 seconds
public ip address - 70.58.151.xxx ( The usable ip address you have selected)

public port 5060

No need to use STUN

If all else fails plug a laptop in the sip port on the firewall, statically assign the laptop to the same ip address in the ip route and then see if you can ping the sip server of your requirement.

Thank you

ACSS

Just another day in the life of ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back