Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Study tips for 70-291

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix101

MIS
Jun 5, 2007
US
Hello,

I'm studying MCSA and getting ready for 70-291 and realize there's lots of memorizing subnetting formulas and such. Can someone please tell me whether I should really spend time on this, Does the 70-291 exam really have you sit there and calulate slash notations and determine the Host capacity of a /n network?

Thanks everyone! I just don't want to spend too much time on this if not necessary.

Hi,
I pass this exam 2 months ago and you should know IP addressing because is essential , but I don’t receive question with IP calculation but there was a lot of question with DNS and WSUS, where you need to know base information about IP addressing.

Thanks Kokaina, I'm just trying to figure out what I need to really focus on for the test. Thanks again!

I got a couple of drag and drop questions. Where you had a dhcp scope and had to correctly identify the range of IP's to be used by determining the amount of hosts on the network. I would definitely spend a little more time working on the SUS, RRAS and IPSec. Had a lot more questions in those areas

I just got done passing 291. Dave is right; spend time on:

RRAS
WSUS (probably 10 questions, including a command line one)
IPSEC
DNS zone types

I had 3 or 4 questions that required use of subnet calculations.

On to 70-270...

Dan

CCA Citrix 4.0
MCP 2003
70-290 Passed
70-291 Passed

Good job DanMIS! After I pass 290 I plan on taking 270 as well. I don't have to take the optional exam because I already have my A+ and Net+ so if you already have those too then your golden after this exam! Good luck and thx for the advise!

DanMIS and matrix101 - If you're taking 270 for an MCSA or SE, I would highly recommend substituting 70-620, the Vista exam instead. If I recall correctly, both carry the same weight for the certifications (please correct me if I'm wrong), but the Vista exam is WAY easier. Laughably easier. I think they give you 1:30 to complete it and I was done in 15 mins.

If you have working knowledge of XP, all you have to do is cover the new stuff in Vista and you're gold. How to set up the sidebar, Windows Defender, UAC, etc. Easy stuff. Not to mention, taking 620 gets you an MCTS along with your MCP and sets you up for the Longhorn/Server 2008 tests if you go that route.

Just my 2c

Jason

A+ IT Tech. Passed (855&860)
Network+ Passed (749)
70-270 Passed (730-Shoulda studied more :O )
70-620 Passed (884)
70-290 Passed (928) - highly recommend the Transcender exam
70-291 In Progress

MCSE/CCNA/Security+/Linux+ Bound

Thanks for the info Steed074, I'll defenitely look into it! I was lagging a little but bolting down again and plan on taking the 70-291 test by the end of Aug/beg of Sept.

Just finished 70-291 yesterday and passed it the first time. I'd say over half my test was over DNS with the rest covered by RRAS and WSUS and a few random questions in the middle. I had two subnetting questions and a resource I found in another thread helped me get those right, Skip straight to the bottom to his 4 steps for subnetting.

On to 70-293 next...Anyone have any thoughts on the CCNA test? I'm looking at using TestOut to study for it but have no experience with real routers (not the home versions)

Could anyone tell me how many questions are on the 70-290 and the 70-291 tests? I am looking to take one of these tests, but am not too sure which one would be easier for me. I am going for my MCDBA and either one would fulfill the required OS section. Which one is easier?

Also if anyone has any study material in electronic format, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all assistance in this.

DaveyCrockett - I've taken the 70-290 exam already and passed it. I'm currently studying for the 70-291 which I'm going to be scheduling for the end of this month October.

I'm going for the MCSA and from my experience I would say the 290 is the easier one of the two.

Thank you Matrix101. I appreciate your response. Do you know how many questions are on the actual 290 test? Is it 45?

I had 45 on my 290. I assume it would be the same for everyone.

-drew

I used the blue MS Press Book with Transcenders for practice testing. The questions are the closest to what you will find on the actual exam and each one comes with a nice explanation as to why each answer is right and why the wrong choices are wrong. I would check it out.

-drew

I agree, the Transcender test is great for 291. I used the Testout materials to cover the topics and then the Transcender exam as a practice test and passed the first time around. I don't think the Testout practice tests really give you a good feel of what the actual test will be like the way the Transcender test does.

Jason

I also used the blue MS press book and worked throught the labs. It helps to actaully configure DNS and work with all its tabs in the properties sheet so you understand what your reading about.

As far as test material I used certkiller but there's alot of misspellings and grammer errors. I might try transcender next time since everyone seems to think they are so great.

good luck.

I just took the 70-291 exam today and it is the hardest of them all!!! I taken the A+, Net+, 2000 Server, 70-290 and passed them all except this one! GRRR!!!

I had one subnetting question - I didn't study for subnetting because I heard there won't be very many which ended up being true.

Lots of RRAS question, DNS, WSUS. You have to actually know how to configure the setting because they use simulations. Oh and there's some IPSEC questions too.

Does anyone know of any good study material?

I used certkiller for this last one but hoping theres something better because these question on the exam came at me like a left hook!

p.s. prometeric's software froze on me while I was taking the exam, and some simulations can take up to 3 minutes to load!

I am using MS book, Actualtests and Transcenders and man this material is hard and very dry, I try about 10 questions a day and get probably 2-3 correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back