Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strangest Day Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonniago

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
US
The President just came back from a two week trip.

Opened up an email on Outlook - It looked strange, and closed his machine down a couple of times.

When I arrived, he said - (Someone came through this woman's computer and sent a virus by email I opened it. How did they get in?

I assured him that our firewall was doing a fine job.

I looked and there was nothing in My Computer, Programs. The firse error message was vxd file missing. Then there was a stack error message followed by a connect.ini and all heck broke loose. After restarting the computer made it as
far as the Windows startup where it attempted to fix the registry, but shut down. This happened even when I attempted to reboot with Norton Antivirus. (I might add that he had his own, old personal copy McAffee.

I also have two other computers that were working on Friday, and now they cannot connect.

Thanks for help, if you have it about the first matter.

Hi Friend,

I'm not sure what kind of firewall you have and what it's capable of, but generally you're not protected from virus by having a mere firewall with no virus protection capability.

At a glance, it looks like a classic case of Nimda wiping out executables, etc ... on the infected system. You need to have your Boss provide accurate detail as to what he witnessed when opening up the email. If it's infected with Nimda, the other system is most likely infected too if they have shared resources.

However I personally think this is a case of harddisk going bad. Trying booting to DOS, and run SCANDISK first ....

Yeah, Baby!
AP

Policy: check e-mails, in a sterile environment, with an up to date virus checker first!

"It looked strange, and closed his machine down a couple of times." AGHH!!!! Train your staff: Call in an IT expert, write down what you/it did, don't fiddle with it! Your BOSS should know better!

CapsMan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back