Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strangest DVD-ROM issue ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMurdoc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2011
GB
OK, So here it is in a nut shell.

One of the workstations I have here at work recently started giving trouble reading DVD's for games and even UBCD511 however CD's work fine.

Upon Google'ing the issue I ended up doing all the standard stuff

-Checking there were no upper or lower filters in the registry
-deleting the drive and reinstalling it
-changing drive letter
-and much much more

Alot of posts said that it would be the lazer as there are different lazers for cd's and dvd's however

A)the machine can still BOOT of a dvd
B)The dvd rom works fine if you share it over the network and then map another drive letter to it so it becomes like a network drive?

when you insert a DVD the drive does detect that something is in there and the drive's name changes to match the name of the disc in there but it just appears empty and doesnt display the correct icon for the drive.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

PS: I have rebuilt the machine once so far which did solve the issue briefly. I have also replaced the DVD drive

Thanks
Mo

Thanks for all the responses. Eventually I found out it was an old LD policy for a particular department which caused this. Sorry for wasting everyon's time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back