Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange thing in word has happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamaar

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
GB
Whenever I select file - open from Word 2000 I am no longer able to view .doc files - I am able to view other files though. Is it worth deleting normal.dot or could there be an underlying reason for this.

Thanks Lamaar75@hotmail.com

I thought maybe there was a registry setting that told word that the default filter for file types was *.doc but I can't find one

There is a setting in Tools/Options... in Word that lets you specify the default filter when saving files but not one for opening.

When you say you can't see .docs do you mean the initial filter in the "Files of Type" dropdown is something other than .docs or do you mean when you select .docs you don't see any files? Bri

"Soul music is for life, not just christmas"

It is set to open .doc files but it can't find any. They are there as I can see them throuogh explorer. I can launch them through explorer by double clicking them but unable to load them through Word. Using Word 2000. Lamaar75@hotmail.com

I don't think the problem is with normal.dot, however if you want to eliminate that being a problem then just rename it, restart word, try to open a *.doc

If sucessful then normal.dot was corrupt, if not then it's back to the drawing board.

Just bear in mind your own personal settings that you would lose if you rename/delete normal.dot

let me know how you get on Bri

"Soul music is for life, not just christmas"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back