Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunnicut

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2014
US
First off, sorry if this is the wrong place or been answered. Also forgive me as I am a Computer Tech taking care of phone systems, so sometimes I ask stupid questions.

I have an office of 12 phone's, old Logitech partner 18 Phone's connecting to a Base card on an Avaya IP Office 500 V2 running Partner Basic. The Cards are ETR base cards with two of them connecting to 4 Pots lines each. The rest of the ports service the phone's.

My problem is we had a power hit in that office. I know because I had to fix the server that took a small hit, UPS/Surge suppressor didn't do jack. Anyway, the phone's don't work, no lights, no dial tone, nothing.

I connected to the system with Manager and all looks to be OK. I shut down the system and re-seated all the cards, nothing. I connected the pots lines to an old land line phone and that was OK. So I know my lines in are OK. I tried connecting the Analog line phone to one of the workstations and got nothing, but I am not sure if that would worked anyway. So I reconnect the pots lines to the system and make a call while I have Status open, I see the call come in and I see the system send the call to the Answer group (which happens to be all 12 phones). Nothing rings in the office.

So at this point I don't know if I have 12 dead phone or 3 dead ETR Cards.

What do you think?

That is hard to tell, does the orange light flashes on the ETR cards?
When a phone is connected does the LED corresponding to that phone light up?
Use sysmonitor to see if it detects when a phone is disconnected and reconnected.
Still it may be the cards or the phones, the only way to know for sure is to replace a card with a new one, if problem persists then the phones are dead.

No lights as far as the phone's go. I have 3 of these cards (two with daughter cards for Analog trunks). I did order a card and it will be overnight(ed). So, we will see, if that's it I am good, otherwise return card and order phones!

At least you confirmed that I am on the right track and not going crazy (not that I am not there already).

Thanks for the reply!!! Really appreciate it.

I know I responded to your question in the other forum, but again I highly doubt that 12 Partner phones all went bad. The likelihood that the issue is the ETR card is very high.

I would agree with that, Little training and high expectations. Thanks man! I'll let you know what I find this weekend!

I have seen one ETR card take down the entire system. Try backing out all 3 ETR cards, then plug one card and one card only to see if this is the same for you.

Well wspence you will be happy to know that you were right, It was one ETR card that took it all out. I replaced the fault one and the two good ones that made it. The system is 100% up and running.

Also wanted to thank Telecomboy and intrigrant.

The case is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back