Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange beeps & boot menu on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam31uf

Technical User
Jan 1, 2005
US
yesterday I was using the cpu normally when it started beeping while I was in outlook. So I restarted. the first thing it did was display a boot menu. I have a picture if needed. I chose to book from HDD1. Then it booted normally except once it got to the sign on screen it let out a continous beep and the start icon to log in was flashing. I had to click the screen and type a key from the keyboard to get it to stop flashing and let me log in. So then all worked fine.

So today it did the same thing, except I notice that when I go to type, the program will stop letting me type or it automatically erases what i typed. It flashes the do you want to save? yes, no or cancel.

i am running Win XP. The hard drive is less than a yr old. I have run the virus scan and nothing.

I typed this in an outlook message because it was taking like 10 min to type it in this box as it kept erasing and making me start over.

any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks,
Kam

I would suspect Malware of some kind. Run several malware checkers. Adaware, Spybot & HijackThis for starters.

I'm sure someone will post more detailed instructions.

Ran Adaware last night and it still was doing it.

sounds like an overflowing keyboard/input buffer. do you have a stuck key in the keyboard, or maybe a malfunctioning mouse?

i would try swapping with a different keyboard if possible to test.

I would agree with Jimp56. Sounds like an input device problem. Try replacing the keyboard with a different keyboard and same with your mouse. Also, you say its letting out a long beep. What BIOS do you have? Check the beep cods with the bios manufacturer as this should tell you what the long beep means.
Cheers
Brett

Or replace the batteries in both the mouse & the keyboard if they are the wireless variety? Also, thinking about it could another wireless keyboard be in range on the same channel?

I went to microsoft and did an office update and it hasnt happened since. Im hoping that solved the problem. It was just odd that it started happening all of a sudden.

What prompted you to do a update for office? Was this incidental, meaning that something was happening that gave you a clue that your problems were to do with office? If so, what was it? I think we all would like to know thanks.
Cheers
Brett

It always started when I was typing in an office product and carried over to text boxes in explorer. I went to microsoft to just look around and did their check for updates thing. It said there was an office update and I did it. Just dumb luck!

Thanks for that. May come in usefull later down the track. Could spawn another thread from this. I still think it had to do with your keyboard input and maybe something in Office was causing a conflict with your keyboard till you updated. Could have been a corrupted input device file. Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back