Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steps for Upgrading IPO Primary Server from 9.1.11 to 11.0.4.4 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2017
DE
Cheers everyone,

does someone definitivley knows if I have to do some intermediate upgrades to a latest release between 9.1.11 to 11.0.4.4 or has any experience by doing that ?
It is about two hardware servers (Primary & Secondary - no vmware) and a IPO500V2; I would like to do the update with webmanager, no DVD or USB device ...

Thanks for your input and practical knowledge.

Greetings

Did you read the release notes?

Capture_a4d46t.jpg

Okkie26, yes I did.
And did you read my question? I asked for the Server Edition and have some problems by understand the suggestions in the Release Notes document...

You should be able to upgrade with .iso transfer directly to R11
It will complain if you are attempting to do something you cannot do due to the steps being to big for your system.

You upload the file via webmanager to the primary then upgrade after that you can upgrade the secondary and the IP500V2

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

Thank you Joe - thank you; it is just because I had an bad issue by doing it as you describe in the past. There was something wrong with the boot sector while the server did the obligatory reboot. But only during the update, not when I did a reboot for test before the upgrade procedure.
So I am not really sure if I have to update to 10.0 or 10.1 first for some CentOS upgrades...

You should first upgrade to latest 10.0 SP before going to 11.0.

This is stated in the release notes

5.5 Upgrade Instructions for Server Edition and Applications Server
If using a DVD to install this release of IP Office Server Edition and Applications Server,
you can upgrade directly from the previous GA release (10.0 or 10.1) For further
information, please refer to the “IP Office Application Server 10.0 Installation and
Maintenance” and the “Upgrading” section of the “Deploying IP Office Server Edition
Solution” manual available from the IP Office Knowledgebase. Upgrades are
supported from the latest service packs of 10.0, 10.1 and 11.0.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

The problem with upgrade that required the script to be run if disks were full was fixed in 9.1.7.
It only affected systems that been upgraded several times before.

Thank you TouchToneTommy and janni78!

I´ll try it the way you described.

Has anybody at last a suggestion how to avoid that the ip deskphones are getting a new firmware while the server editon is running in 10.0 before upgrading to target version 11.0.4 ?

Thanks TTT for catching this.

Sorry seg_DE90762
It would have been a futile event to try to upload the .iso I guess but better know it ahead of time.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

It didn't let me rest.
The R11 Release notes say you can go directly from Previous GA Release (9.1, 10 and 10.1) to 11 with the USB method.
For WebManager please read the instructions (or similar) and that it only applies to 9.0 and 8.1 to do a full install.

this is the R11 Application server manual and it also says you can upgrade from 9.1 to 11, just not from 9.0 and lower.

It however doesn't specifically say it in a clearly readable sentence and plays with the Avaya reference to other Tech Bulletins.
If they would make it clear it would make live so much simpler.

I guess I will install a 9.1 virtual server on the weekend and bump it up to R11 so that I can see what it does. Long live virtual environments.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Good to know, that I am not the only one with trouble by understand AVAYA‘s docs... :-/

I‘ll try it tomorrow in customer‘s environment with a well prepared backup and do as first step the upgrade with webmanager to R10.0 ...

seg_DE90762
let us know if it worked and what steps you took.

If you don't go from 9.1 to 11.0 then I will try it on the weekend.

Do you live in Fürth by chance?
just because of the postal code in your handle :)

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Yeah, I´ll keep you up-to-date...
I will forego the UpgradeKernelFix.sh - Script, it only seems to be necessary for virtual servers - on the other hand: it probably won't hurt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yes, Westi - I live in Fürth and work in Nuremberg.

You don't need to run the script if you are on 9.1.7+

I'm sorry, I wanted to share my experiences with upgrading the system, but haven't had the time yet.
I started with a backup of the cfg‘s with IPO manager software and did a backup of VMpro - announcements/greetings/personal store with WinSCP and modules with VMPro-Client. OXP-backup was done with web manager.

Then I uploaded the R10-ISO and did the upgrade of primary, secondary and the IPO500V2.
Before that I ran the upgrade-check-script and let it delete one CentOS - core, I thought it would not hurt - at last it didn‘t...

After that uploaded latest R11.0.4.4 - ISO and upgraded by same way...

Thanks for describing it so nicely here, sure will help someone else that searches for it here.

Have some pink

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

seg_DE90762
Can you explain your extra steps in more detail, please?

I was called after an upgrade failed with physical servers running 9.0.6
They tried to upload the 11.0.4.4 ISO using Webmanager and it failed.
Yesterday, I did an upgrade for a virtual Application Server, from 9.1.11 to 9.1.12 and then to 11.0.4.4.
It failed with exately the same result.

However, I read the 11.0.4.4 TB too, and it says - well, it doesn't do that very clear, but it does say - you can upgrade directely to 11.0.4.4 from virtual 9.1.7 and physical 9.1

In all 4 cases (2x Avaya DELL R240, 1x Avaya HP DL120, 1x virtual VMware) the result was axactely this:
2020-09-18_13h18_53_lnc5gp.png

For the Application Server, it was not a real problem. We had Voicemail ImmediateBackup, it took one hour to rebuild a fresh Application Server with 11.1.0.1 and restor the backup.
But for the Primary and Secondary server, it took a lot more to bring the system back in service!

If anyone knows how to fix this Kernel panic... Your welcome!

Uhh Albus2, I feel with you - I had this error at physical primary and secondary server at an earlier try to upgrade it for another customer. I spent many hours to get the system back in service. At that time I did a complete reinstall vom USB and uploaded the config files with IPO Manager which I backed up before beginning.

I think the UpgradeKernelFix.sh - script would prevent that ... just take a look at TouchToneTommys post.

I can't say much about the physical system. But it was on 9.0.6 until last weekend. It was for sure not updated very often, probably never.
Maybe the UpgradeKernelFix.sh would have helped, but afterwards, its too late. Reinstall from USB is what we did.

For the virtual system, it was upgraded to 9.1.12 first. Because this is the latest Service Pack and it shall be OK to upgrade from 9.1 to 11.0.4.4, also since 9.1.7 this Kernel problem shall be fixed or included, at least they say its no more needed.

Anyway, I found some infos and even youtoube videos about this problem. But it was not 100% the same. Not Avaya, not Centos 6 and the best matching video was without any description or audio, one could just watch somebody doing something. What an idiot...!
But still, it looks like if it is possible to fix above issue without reinstallation and loosing all data.
Do we have a Linux expert around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back