Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowsrules

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
US
When I turn on my NT workstation 4.o machine. It goes through startup correctly but does not give me the ctr-Alt-Delete Screen to login.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Sounds like it was modified with the "Auto admin logon" option.
Are you an administrator on your machine?

Yes I am an administrator on this machine but can not get anywhere as I can not log into the machine

Oh wow - I thought you could login, but just were never prompted for it. Is this a new install - what started this to happen? What happens when you enter ctrl-alt-del anyway?
What screen does it freeze at?

Sorry for all the q's..but we need as much info as possible to try & help!
Also - can you map your computer's c$ share from another machine?

The screen freezes right at the point where the little pop up box that says hit ctrl-Alt-Del to login should appear.

Nothing happens when I hit the keys anyway.

The keyboard does work during the startup.

I have tried the press spacebar to run last known config.

This computer has been in use for about 6 mo and have had no problems.

Came in on monday and no login!!

Thanks

You haven't installed anything before that, or enabled "FilterKeys" on your keyboard?
Try a new keyboard if you think yours might be bad..if it's good, you should be able to turn num-lock on/off and see the light change on/off on the KB - but that wont tell you its definitely bad either.

When you pressed spacebar for Last Known Good - did it accept that from the Keyboard?

I would start by taking parts out of the system. NIC,sound,modem and such. Sounds like it might be a driver trying to load.

Why dont you try to log on in safe mode, it sounds like the network card is causing a problem, or at least the driver for it is.
You should be able to get in through that, when you do check your device manager and see if there are any conflicts and make sure you put the right driver in for you network card. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Ok

Maybe I am a little slow with this but how do I get into safe mode on nt workstation 4.0. I have never done that before.

Thanks

sorry, I meant get into VGA mode, its the same thing....
what you do is select the option at boot up when there is a 30 second count down, your options should be.....

Windows NT Workstation version 4.0
Windows NT Workstation version 4.0 (VGA Mode)
MS DOS

Its something similar, but you want the VGA mode one.
Try that....Just use the arrow keys to select. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

I had this same problem and wasn't able to find a solution. VGA didn't work, the only card I had was a nic card, and removing it didn't help. Had to reinstall OS. Probably was a better solution, but I didn't have time to mess with troubleshooting it anymore.

Andronium might have the best answer unless you have an ERD.
It sounds like registry corruption, or improper permissions to the Winlogon section in the registry. If you can get an ERD, or your NT setup disks, i'd run a registry repair on the O/S, but you'll have to reinstall your software most likely. In cases like that - it's just better to reinstall NT. The workstation service may not be starting.

Could you not use the NT Repair floppies to try and fix some of the main components? This of course means that the set of floppies has been kept up to date?

Hope this Helps

Lou2

Install a program like Remote Desktop.
It can install remotely and then you can login remotely and fix the problem.
Sometimes the keyboard device drivers stop working but this program overrides it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back