Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startalk C: is it dead? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhentz

Technical User
Jun 15, 2010
US
We have a 14 year old Startalk C (2.04) unit that is no longer responding following a power outage last weekend. F903 yields the dreaded "Inactive feature" message, no matter what I try. (**XFTEST, cleared the codes, rebooted, etc)

Is there anything else to try, or should I be shopping for a new one?

START SHOPPING

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

I've been looking around, and it seems that Startalk C units can still be found....would it be unwise to just go with another one (we've never had problems with it) or is there a newer system with similar specs (1300 minutes, 500 users) that would make more sense?

What system and software is this Startalk attached to?

The Startalk C wasn't even Y2K compatible, also you have to set the time and date from the Startalk. I would get out of the DARK AGES

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

KyBoy, I'm not at the office right now so I can't tell you exactly...what I do know is that it's a Norstar Modular ICS, purchased around 1993. And still kicking! We've never had problems with either unit until last weekend, no lie.

We can't afford to spend a lot to replace the Startalk, as all the contingency funds that we set aside for stuff like this got cut from our budget...though TPTB are not averse to purchasing something newer if it will last us as long as the Startalk has.

It was most likely the hard drive. Hook up the serial port to your pc/laptop and watch the boot via Hyperterm. If it is the drive, you can replace it, with software loaded on a new drive, for less than $200.

You would have to have any keycodes that were used in hand, as the new drive would be at all factory defaults. It would be good to line up access to a vendor with KRS access in case you need to regenerate any codes, I cannot recall at the moment if the system id is recorded in the HDD or in the motherboard bios.

About a year ago I replaced a hard drive in a startalk "A" and it it was easily done in the field and it continues to putter along to this day. If I recall, if you have license for 2.04L software, it is Y2K compliant.

You can get a fiber NAM 4.1 voice mail (Norstar Applications Module)4 port for about $400 and a 2 port fiber expansion card refurb for about $105. The NAM will give you 1000 mailboxes and 100 hours of storage. The system is very stable and you can back up settings. The NAM 4.1 is compatible with MICS software 1.0 to 6.1. If you get a 4.0 NAM then you will have to do a direct DN patch for MICS 4.1 to 6.1. So it is best to get a 4.1 NAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back