Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start Menu freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinnaomi

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2002
US
I have found that many NT 4.0 Workstations throughout my network are having problems with the start menu.
When a user goes to start->programs then tries to select something from the menu, the menu sometimes freezes so that nothing can be clicked. The only way to fix this is move the mouse back to the root start menu and try again or click somewhere on the desktop.

Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
Many of the users have complained of this.

i had similar issue on some of my workstations. Problem was due to version of McAfee Virus Scan that i was running. McAfee support sent me the fix.

This is just an example to show you your problem may be due to a particular non-MS s/w you are using.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for the information. We are using McAfee Viruscan 4.5.1. I will contact our McAfee rep and see if they can send a fix. You wouldn`t happen to remember what the fix fixed do you?
If I can give them more details, then maybe things would be easier.....?

There is Service Pack 1 for McAfee 4.5.1, though I don't know if the fix you require is in that release. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

I already have McAfee 4.5.1 SP1 installed on all machines.
It must be something else. I will contact McAfee to see if they cna help.

You need to enter the following into your registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration]
"DisablePLADMinusOne"=dword:00000001
"DisableResetLastAccessDate"=dword:00000001

This will fix issue.
Please let me know if you still have problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back