Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start > Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

multipleintell

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
In the Start menu, when I click on Documents to see the most recent files I've worked with, there are no files listed. How can I get them back? I am working on a 98 machine.

Thanks!

Hello multipleintell,

Guess you have set somehow the flag, value named NoRecentDocsHistory, on. Just delete the value altogether or set it to off by dword: 00000000. The following .reg deletes the value. Give it a name.reg then double click to merge. By default, the value is not set at all.
Code:
'---below this line .reg file---
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=-

'---above this line .reg file---
regards - tsuji

I am on a work computer and cannot access the registry because it is disabled by the administrator. Is there any other way to change this setting?

Well - the setting is in the registry! You can use a tool which updates the registry - if you can install it and it can do this under your restrictions (probably can in 98). Tweakui - (its on the 98 CD too) has a paranoia tab - one of whose entries is 'clear document history at logon'. Uncheck this & if it saves back to registry - voila! Otherwise you'll need to ask your Administrator to do this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back