Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STANDARD MODE FAULT OUTSIDE MSDOS EXTENDER !HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesiRomeo

Technical User
Nov 10, 2002
CA
I have a old dell latitude LM 133mhz with a 1.4gb HD I have no floppy or bootable cd rom drive (bios is to old can't find update) So I got a 2.5 to 3.5 Notebook IDE to standard IDE adapter popped it in my Desktop recognized the drive all's gravy. I go to install windows 98 on the drive after I've fdisked and formattd the drive using the regular setup command does it's little scandisk thing then says copying files need to install windows then boom I get this message

STANDARD MODE FAULT OUTSIDE MS-DOS EXTENDER

EC=0000 CS=0037 IP=0001 AX=0501 BX=00C3A CX=D4C0
DX=0277 ES=032F SS=027F SP=0198

I ran the IBM disk utility as I have a IBM HD and everything checked out fine.

What should I Do next?

This is a memory error. Take the memory out, clean the edges with a pencil erasor, blow out the dust from inside the pc and reseat the memory. The memory might be bad though.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

my other hd will boot fine in this machine once it's connected though so the ramm should be fine

Well the MS article had other reasons for this including a virus. But, since you had reformatted the drive I don't think it could be a virus. Check it out:
What are you booting off of? A floppy or the cd? If you can try the cd.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I did orignally have the funlove virus on the drive but I fdisk /mbr deleted that partions re-created them formatted the drive. strange I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back