Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split up DID's into different trunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmans

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
US
I'm not a phone person at all, so please bear with me! I have a client who has a server that runs GFI Faxmaker faxing software). It looks as though they have a DID trunk from the PBX to a BrookTrout card on the server. My question is can they put some DID's on one trunk and some on a second DID trunk? They want to pick and choose individual DID's (no specific order or block). Is this possible? Thanks for any info !!!!

Do it right the first time, and there won't be a second time!

Quick answer is yes. But you also need to know how a DID trunk works. DID trunks function on the digits that are sent along with the call. For instance if someone dials 302-333-4444 most systems accept 4 digits so the Central Office siezes a trunk and sends 4444 to your pbx. The pbx then routes the call based on the digits dialed not on which trunk the call comes in on. Are they trying to reserve some channels for outbound only?

What is the reason to split them, It will help us give you a correct answer

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

It's actually one company who's splitting. They're staying in the same building, but want to have two separate fax servers. So they want to keep the same fax #'s they use now, just send some of them to one fax server and the others to the other fax server.

This would require another T1 to go to the other fax server and yes you can send the calls to the appropriate trunk route using CDP.

How are the calls getting to the Fax's now, do they go though the PBX or are they going direct from the T1.

What phone system and Rls do you have

ACE from the original post they are going through the PBX via T1. No matter what release they need another T1 to go to the new server.

He said it looks like, that doesn't mean it is, so it would really help to know how it is really setup. and he said DID from the PBX, I don't think so.

Good Question's with Good Info Equal Good answers.

I guess I shouldn't assume that if you post here you halfway know what you are looking at. This is the type of question I would normally pose to my vendor. Since I am one I would have to ask myself. The vendor of the fax server should also be able to answer some of the questions as to what is needed.

Yes the DIDs can be set up from the PBX, especially if it is a DTI as they function like a TIE. Oh well hope they got their question answered. which is yes you can send specific numbers to different trunk routes. Alot of entries but it can be done.

The reason I asked for more info is if both T1's are from the same Vendor, they could have the Vendor combine them at the CO and he wouldn't need to do anything.

This is actually going the other way and is one company that is splitting into 2 separate companies and wants their own fax server which means they will need another T1. They are going to continue using the same numbers and occupy the same space, they just want their own box.

I know i'm repeating myself, but if you give us some good info, like what system and Rls you have and if you have the phone system setup as a true 2 Customer switch, we could give you a right answer.

All the answers given so far would work if you are setup the way they think your are, but we don't really know. Were just guessing

very strange request, you can do anything you want after you get the digits from the provider.. use steering codes to send single or groups of did's to any tie or did (ogt iao) route you have..

but all you need is a single did number to get as many faxes as you have trunks.. you could call the provider or vendor, most of them could use a good laugh on a friday morning. you might look at using your call pilot as a fax server, if you bought one then you have an intergrated fax server that puts the brooktrout to shame..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thank you all for your responses. I'll call the vendor who does their PBX configs today to find out exactly how the connection is setup, then I'll post more info. I do apologize for not knowing exactly how it is setup, I'm blind in the telephony world !!!

When you use the word "trunk" as in your original question, do you mean a T1 ot 1 copper wire?

By "trunk" I mean one copper wire. It goes from the PBX to the Server via a wire. In the server's configurations it has a break out of all the individual DID's, which are associated with a user/email account.

My head hurts, I'm giving up on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back