Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

splicing CAT 5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertinn

Vendor
Nov 28, 2010
US
had a lot of short cat 5 runs that needed to be extended. I used 3M Splicing buttons however I am wondering if I am compromising the data stream speed?

The cat-5 cable is electrically a transmission line. A transmission line has a property called the characteristic impedance, which is a ratio of the Inductance and Capacitance, both of which are a function of cable geometry. A transmission line also has resistance, which affects the signal and its propagation.

As a signal travels down a transmission line, it continues to degrade in amplitude as well as rotate in phase. When the signal hits a change in impedance, part of the wave is passed through and part of it is reflected back. The amount that is passed versus rejected is determined by the mismatch in impedance from the cable. The reflected signal can interfere with the other signal data traveling down the line. In an ideal sense, a perfectly terminated line will deliver maximum signal into the load and reflect no signal back. A significant enough mismatch or a high enough resistance can also degrade the signal amplitude sufficiently to render it unrecoverable at the receiver.

With a splice you potentially introduce an impedance mismatch, which you want to avoid. The effective overall data rate will be impacted by the signal quality. Hence, it is possible that your splice will effect your speed. However, with most digital transmission, there is a point at which if the signal is "good enough" you will maintain maximum speed and avoid any data loss. This is an example of why things like heavy gold plated cables for your digital TV signals don't necessarilly buy you any improvement.

Check out the big brain on Brett!" - Jules Winnfield

Mounatain bear is nearly correct. There is one better option.

Ideally you want to use 110 blocks to make the "splice" just as you would where Horizontal meets Vertical elements.

Next comes the plugs and through adaptor (all Cat5e of course and

Lastly a connector block with patch cables (since proper stranded patch cables are NOT as good as solid installation cable).

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

So do not use a 66 block to seperate the pairs?

For example if I have to use a portion of the pair for voice and the other for voice then could I frst punch it down an the 66 block then lests say use the BLUE and BROWN pair for voice and the ORANGE and GREEN for data?

For data applications....using 66 blocks to terminate CAT5E cable wouldn't be my first choice. 110 blocks might be a better alternative.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

IIRC 110 blocks are Cat.5e rates. I know that 66 blocks are not.

As far as splitting out pairs, I don't see the relevance to this thread. ?

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

Splitting out pairs for voice or data for sharing in the fashion you mentioned above is does not adhere to the standard, and causes all the impedance problems mentioned by Norway2. If you want to do that, run a separate cable for data and a separate one for voice. Otherwise, use modular adapters or octopus cables @ the jacks and patch panels to to get the pairs you need without bastardizing the TIA 568 standard.

....JIM....

66 blocks produced by Suttle Apparatus (and other manufacturers) are CAT5E rated....but the method of terminating the wires is different for 5E data than it is for voice applications.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

What is there is no alternative and there is only one single 4 pair run available. Sometines two runs for voice and data are just not an option for some customers.

Also some customers are not speed freaks and as long as the PC work station is operating and the speed is acceptable then there may be a decrease in speed but it might not cause a problem for low use PC applications.

Syquest has the answer for situations where running another cable isn't an option:

Otherwise, use modular adapters or octopus cables @ the jacks and patch panels to to get the pairs you need without bastardizing the TIA 568 standard.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I believe Allen Tel makes something like the RS connector. I will have to search thru some PDF files & see if I can find it. It may have been posted in an old thread ages ago.

....JIM....

I have also seen Krone Hi band used where multiple cables had to be extended.

(sorry different country what's a 66 style block)?

66 blocks produced by Suttle Apparatus (and other manufacturers) are CAT5E rated....but the method of terminating the wires is different for 5E data than it is for voice applications.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back