Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

splicing CAT 5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertinn

Vendor
Nov 28, 2010
US
had a lot of short cat 5 runs that needed to be extended. I used 3M Splicing buttons however I am wondering if I am compromising the data stream speed?

Was the question for Syquest or me [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

OzzieGeorge
66 block are connectors that are not wrapped around or soldered but with a punch down tool squeezed between the open metal pin. They are a horrible way to make connection in this day and age but are also very robust like all the old junk usually is. Once conneced properly you have not a whole lot of problems with it until the next guy comes by and wiggles on the cables too much or you used a crappy punchdown tool that lays teh wire over top of the metal pin rather then squeezing it into the wedge.
_66BLOCK.JPG

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Now....for 5E....both Tip & Ring enter into the block in the same slot. Tip will turn upward and is punched "bottom-up" while Ring is punched the traditional "top-down".

The reason for this is to minimize the untwisting of the conductors.

66 blocks are perfectly fine for analog & digital voice. For data, I'd use either 110 blocks or patch panels.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Dexman
I can't help myself I just don't like 66 blocks, they are just to bare for my liking and remembering how many times I got zapped when I leaned against them working with a sweaty forearm is not a good memory. I started out with Krone connectors that are more like the BIX and the Siemens I started with were more like 66 in series with only 5 pairs in one line then it goes down to the next one but with more insulation and recessed so you don't touch the bare contacts as easily.
I worked with those for 15 years before I saw my first 66 block so that might be the reason why I am still a bit shying back from them, you like what you know better usually. But the idea with terminating them the way you described is great I will keep that in mind should I need to use them that way

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Geld alleine macht nicht glücklich, aber es beruhigt ungemein

Ah!

We have the odd one of those around the city but most people don't have a punch down tool for them so they pretty soon get replaced with Krone. I couldn't imagine using something so old for cat5 (not if you plan on it passing any cable test) Next thing someone will suggest tag strips!!!!

Happy New Year Joe! (Westi) [bigsmile]

I've taken a few zaps to the fingers (not a very pleasant feeling to say the least!). But, as you mentioned, it pretty much boils down to what you've worked with over the years.

I've used Krone & BIX (not extensively though) and neither format really does anything for me. State-side you're more likely to come across 66 blocks while, in Canada, BIX is the order of the day.

I guess when all the smoke & dust settles, the bottom line is giving customers proper service and making the install as neat & understandable as possible so that any technician can figure it all out in a reasonably short amount of time.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

When I work on an installation ad during my warranty period I am the only one who can touch any of the work unless I authorize another vendor.

So during that time my work stays in tact and if it is disturbed at all I know it because I know exactly how I install every cable and connection.

I have what you might call my own personal "signature". I want to make sure that the customer, the customers know it all friend or another vendor does not damage my work or equipment and then blame it on me and expect me to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back