Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spelling differences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah c'mon Sha, the surely you've got to admit that it's a lot easier for a norther to understand a southerner, than a southerner to understand a northerner? I personally don't have a problem with northern accents, I like them, but many folk around here don't catch one word in ten.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Incomprehensible - or even just strong - accents tend to be associated with major industrial connurbations. Northumbrians aren't particularly difficult to follow, but Jordies... Or, to give a Stateside example, think of the Bronx or Queens accent. Birmingham, which is not northern, whatever Londoners might think, has Brum, which can be difficult to the newcomer. From the Scottish end of the country the Highlands accent is easy whereas Glasgae is next to inpenetrable to the outsider.

The reason southern British accents tend to be easier is that, London apart, there are very few major industrial towns like Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle. Indeed, when thinking about southern accents my mind automatically thinks fo Darset which is distinctly rural, and therefore easy.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

I think that regional accents PLUS regional slang frequently make my ears go "huh?" when we're watching a foreign movie. First viewing of "The Full Monty" and "Calendar Girls" caused us fits, 2nd viewing was a bit better, and subsequent viewings were actually entertaining.

2ffat,
knowing how this girl thinks, she would've replied with something like, "That's not a language, that's a jelly!

[purpleface]

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

US jelly = UK jam
UK jelly = US jelo

Get strange looks from the North Americans when you ask if they have any jelly for afters. I suppose both jelly and jelo derive from gelatine.

Strangely enough here in Scotland, jam sandwiches are referred to as 'jeely pieces', so perhaps this is nearer to the US definition.

However, we gastronaughts refer to jam as 'conserve' of course ;-)

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Ken,

<off topic> Ah'm no Scortesh, so mah yeers coodnay unnerstan' when mah mate's Mam said she wuz "Puttin' up his pieces fer rammorrah"

But now it's clear to me!

</off topic>

Chris

Servo vestri abbas etiam quod ego mos arcesso unguentum

Glad to help, Chris. I'm English but have lived here in Scotland for nearly nine years now so I'm beginning to get the drift. It also helps that my Scottish auntie used to buy me Broons and Oor Wullie annuals for Christmas.

Broons and Oor Wullie annuals

Complete classics, I discovered a couple of annuals when the loft was cleared out the other day.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

In 1968, my Dad worked at G & J Weir in Cathcart. When we moved to join him in East Kilbride, he provided my brother and me with several volumes of "Teach Yourself The Scottish Dialect", aka Broons and Oor Wullie annuals. They proved invaluable, especially as I was the only English kid at my school!

Over time, both of us developed very strong EK-Glaswegian accents, just to get along without being 'claimed' daily.

I've now lost my accent, but my brother still lives in EK, and speaks with more of a Highland burr.

Ach, ya scunners! Yez've made me greet noo! [cry]

Chris

Servo vestri abbas etiam quod ego mos arcesso unguentum

Gonnaenodaerat, Chris.

So Polomint City (EK) eh? I'm finding my way there for a five-a-side tournament next weekend.

Good luck, Ken.

Both in the tournament and in negotiating all tha roondaboots!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back