Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spelling differences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
[having a small good natured 'pop']
[wink] Of course.... allowing for the name of the Language... we know which ones are correct don't we? [wink]
[/'pop' over]

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Fee,

That's why I often claim that we don't speak English, we speak American.

Although, increasingly, more of us Americans are being forced to speak/read Spanish...

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

Si!

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Kay Pasta!

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Hombre Hombre!

Or is that something else?

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Well at least it's Spanish; probably the easiest second language to learn.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Peñsa inglés solomenté.

How terrible is my recollection of Español? I was trying to say "Only if you know English" (though French and italian probably are in the same boat).

I couldn't remember if peñsar was 'to know' or 'to think' and my grammar is Spanish was always worse than in English.

Realistically there are only 3 phrases I feel comfortable uttering (spelling and accents may not be quite correct)...

¿Cuanto Questa?
¿Dondé esta el baño?
Habla inglés por favor. Hablo un poco Español y muy malo.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

Dos cervesa, por favor.

I've been to Mexico a few times, and that's the only phrase you need to know to survive.

Exactly, theklown.

Polish seems to be gaining popularity here in the UK so that we can negotiate with plumbers/dentists/<insert other professions here>.

Parents also seem to be keen on their children learning Mandarin. Ho hum.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Hi,
They want them to be able to speak Mandarin so they will be able to follow their jobs to China...

As for the UK/USA language issue. George Bernard Shaw is quoted as saying that we were "2 countries separated by a common language"..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

But it 'should' have been "Two countries separated by an incorrect variant of the base language".

;)

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

This truly is sad, but I had a friend ask me last summer what language they spoke in England. I just stared at her, hoping she'd realize how stupid the question sounded, but that didn't work. So I tell her English, and she tried to argue with me, basing her claim on the statement, "No they don't! They're hard to understand!" Saddest part of the story is that she's currently 3 credit hours away from her masters in GLOBAL economics!

Ooooo. That almost gives me chills. Well, no not really. But it is amazing at how someone can be working towards a Masters Degree in ANYTHING, and not know that the main language in England is um... you know... English!

[SHOCKED]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

But do the Brits speak English?

I was working with an international crew travelling around Europe. One of the crew members was a Dutch lad who had very few languages but, like most Dutch people, spoke excellent English. He was therefore really looking forward to the British leg of the tour.

Our first UK port of call was Newcastle, our second was Glasgow, both cities where I tend to struggle - I'm a Londoner by birth - and the poor Dutch lad was as badly off as when we were in France or Italy.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Well you're always going to have dialects. Obviously us southern Englanders are a lot easier to understand that the northern scallies.

You've not travelled widely in southern England then?

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

If it is a lojikal, kohirnt, Engliy speling iu ar after, kaindli rid on... (hope I got that right... ;-))

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped
to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer
be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained
would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2
might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the
same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with
"i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear
with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12
or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.
Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi
ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz
ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud
hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

p5

thekl0wn,
[tab]Maybe you should have said Welsh! ;-)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back