Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed up your Printing under Win9x from FoxPro DOS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramani

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
AE
Edit the system.ini file (windows directory)
Locate [386enh] section
and add the following lines after the [386enh] section

[NetWork]
PrintBufTime = 5

[IFSMGR]
PrintBufTime = 5

Save the file and then restart the system.
The number 5 indicates 5 seconds Buffer hold timing which can be varied to suit your system.

ramani :)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

This works great. I'd just been putting a note in my HELP file telling Win9x users that the delay was because Win9x diverted print requests to Redmond WA so Bill could inspect the contents before they were printed out.
Jerry

Thankyou very Much ...

This will help 1000's of FP-Dos users.

Santhosh

Directed here from the Netware thread (which I thought was causing the problem!), but this cured it. Worth another star!!

Works really well Ramani. This could save me buying a lot of auto print share boxes.
I have two machines networked here on my test bench and set to 1 second.
So far, no problems so another star from me.

Ramani, do you know if there is any automatic collision protection doing things this way (like there is in an auto printer share box) so a document from computer 2 has to wait until computer 1 is finished? Or does the printout get data from computer 1 mixed in with data from computer 2?

I'm sure you know the workings of an auto printer share box but in case others aren't too familiar with them, what happens is that if the printer is busy with a document from computer 1, the box tells computer 2 to wait (say) 4 seconds and then re tries. If the printer is still printing for computer 1, computer 2 waits another (say) 4 seconds and so on.
This way, as long as computer 1 is printing with delays of less than 4 seconds, computer 2 can't get in and mix up the printout.

Ken F

Hi Ken

See if this is of any help to you....->

Here is an easy Print Spooler !
thread182-155776

All you have to do is drop your reports output as text file in the specified folder.

:)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Also, are you using "SET PRINTER TO" after your print job?

Code:
RUN NET USE LPT2 \\cpuname\printersharename
SET PRINTER TO LPT2
* PRINT THE REPORT OR TEXT:
* - REPORT FORM XX TO PRINT
* - SET PRINT ON / SET PRINT OFF
SET PRINTER TO

dbMark

Oops, I accidently posted here when I meant it for another post. (Wish I could delete my own posts in cases like this...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back