Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed theory <%.....%> OR <%.....%>...<%%>....<%....%> 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatHead

Programmer
Oct 13, 2000
GB
Client server is cool because client and server will separate the workload between them.

But which one is faster ?
<%
ASP code all at once
%>

OR

HTML
<%asp%>
HTML
<%ASP%>
etc

imagine the following two examples on a large scale project.

DOES IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

Yes, it does make a difference (so I've read) especially on large pages.

Take the following example. They recommend doing this:

<%
' PULL RECORDS FROM A TABLE AND DISPLAY IN A TABLE ROW
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
Response.Write &quot;<TR><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field1&quot;) & &quot;</TD><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field2&quot;) & &quot;</TD></TR>&quot;
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP
%>

Instead of:

<%
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
<TR>
<TD><%=RSData(&quot;Field1&quot;)%></TD>
<TD><%=RSData(&quot;Field2&quot;)%></TD>
</TR>
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP
%>

There is an even better method for doing this kind of processing, using GetRows or GetString I think it is...but I'm not too well versed in this so maybe somebody else will be able to show an example.

The first method is faster but in reality all you can really do is simply try to minimize the amount of jumping in and out of script tags as possible.

The &quot;Instead of:&quot; method that Churchill listed is a good example of what not to do.

from my experience, the most readable method is usually the slowest to process. It's your call whether to make it readable or optimised.

It actually depends on what you're trying to benchmark,
the CPU or the network.

In Churchill's response, he has:

<%
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
Response.Write &quot;<TR><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field1&quot;) & &quot;</TD><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field2&quot;) & &quot;</TD></TR>&quot;
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP
%>

SHOULD BE:

<%
strTmp = &quot;&quot;
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
strTmp = strTmp & &quot;<TR><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field1&quot;) &
&quot;</TD><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field2&quot;) & &quot;</TD></TR>&quot;
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP

response.write strTmp
%>

If you have large amounts of records, this will reduce network overhead instead of having to do small writes to the browser. But I would definitely stay with

<%
ASP code all at once
%>

Cheers,
fengshui_1998

Hate to disagree here, but

<%
strTmp = &quot;&quot;
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
strTmp = strTmp & &quot;<TR><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field1&quot;) &
&quot;</TD><TD>&quot; & RSData(&quot;Field2&quot;) & &quot;</TD></TR>&quot;
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP

response.write strTmp
%>

is not faster than:

<%
DO WHILE NOT RSData.EOF
RSData.MoveNext
LOOP
%>

Not in vbScript anyway. String manipulation is vbScript's weakest point, and so every time you concatenate and such, it's rebuilding the variable, adding to it, etc... Very slow. Response.write() a bit at a time, while it might be heavier on the network, will make your page function faster.

In truth, I would prefer to do it the first way, and put it all into a function, assign the string to the function, and then you are just response.write(function) to get the output. It really makes for cleaner code, but like I said, it is slower.

paul
penny.gif
penny.gif

Paul,

Like I said, it depends on what your trying to benchmark, the CPU or network. I agree that response.write(s) with small data is faster, but it also consumes a large amout of overhead, not good for your network. I think we agree but it depends on where you would like to see your best performance.

fengshui_1998

thanks a lot everybody. Very informative feedback:) very cool tips. I hope this will save me time and avoid complaints from the unhappy dudes...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back