Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speaking of Translations... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grande

Programmer
Feb 14, 2005
CA
I'm a big fan of the ska band Voodoo Glow Skulls. My favourite song goes by the name of El Mas Chingon.

I've tried many online translators to get the English lyrics (or an approximation thereof), but I can't seem to find an accurate one. I think there might be slang or "naughty words" in it that aren't being translated (Vato and Chingon never get translated, for example).

Can anyone tell me what they're talking about?

Yo soy un vato espantoso
Los otros se ponen muy nerviosos

YO SOY EL MAS CHINGON!!

Que chido son las noches de tequila
Borracho y cantando la misma cancion

Solo mis amigos me pueden aquietar
Porque yo soy el mas chingon

Mi ferocidad se siente asta Mexico
Es donde mi arbol retono
Soy una rama con espinas
Del bosque el mas chingon

-------------------------
Call me barely Impressive Captain.

Well.. one of those words is what News of the Wierd's editor, Chuck Shepherd, calls "the F-bomb".

Vato - I have no idea.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

Grande,

With a TT handle like "Grande", I would have guessed that you might know this stuff as a first language. In any case, as you guessed, the lyricist is (as our British friends might say) a "no-ty" boy. Here is my translation for the lyrics:
Voodoo Glow Skulls said:
Yo soy un vato espantoso
I am a scary dude
Los otros se ponen muy nerviosos
Others get very nervous
YO SOY EL MAS CHINGON!!
I am the toughest f&*%-er
Que chido son las noches de tequila
How cool are the nights of tequila
Borracho y cantando la misma cancion
Drunk and singing the same song
Solo mis amigos me pueden aquietar
Only my friends can calm me down
Porque yo soy el mas chingon
Because I am the toughest f&*%-er
Mi ferocidad se siente asta Mexico
My ferociousness can be felt all the way to Mexico
Es donde mi arbol retono
Where my "birth sprout" comes from
Soy una rama con espinas
I am a branch with thorns
Del bosque el mas chingon
From the forrest the toughest f&*%-er
So, at this point, although I question your taste in music, you at least know what you're singing.[wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Sweet! Thanks so much!

(By the way, the handle Grande is my last name, which is Italian, as well as Spanish).

-------------------------
Call me barely Impressive Captain.

Santa: you did a very good job. Been a native spanish speaker (I'm chilean) I don't understand some words from that song!! the problem with that song is that it is a "Mexican" language (something like mexican ebonic, in Chile we speak "coa").

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Dave, is there anything you don't know something about?!!!

[nods respectfully]

Tony

I guess that I'm just a "Trivial" person, Tony.<grin>...And I certainly don't know near enough about the female half of our species.<bigger grin>

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Dave... don't be worried about that... Nobody is "near to know ANYTHING about the female hal of our species"... even if all of us claim to know "the most important thing

The most important thing" ?
That has to do with "Yes, dear" doesn't it?

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Hi,
And the 'most important thing':
When asked, 'does this make me look fat', DO NOT PAUSE for even 1 millisecond before replying 'NO, Of course not'.

Question: If a man speaks in a forest, and no one is around to hear, is he still wrong?...[wink]

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

...and I've also learned to completely remove these two phrases from use:
Never 1 said:
When are you due?
...and...
Never 2 said:
How old is your grandchild?

[santa]Mufasa

Depends on context, of course. I can see the ambiguity in the accounts receivable department of an OB/GYN practice asking a patient what her due date is (baby, or invoice)?

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

I must be a lucky man. My wife used to ask me the "Does this make me look fat?" question, until I started replying "HUGE!!!!!", or "No, it's your fatty fatness that makes you look fat, Miss Fatty McThunderThighs!!", or "Yeah, but that's how I like it!". I'm lucky because my wife just laughs when I do this, and she's stopped asking the question.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye has a choice: talk like a pira

I got my wife to stop asking the "Does this make my butt look big" question by always asking her the question of my clothing choices. She finally just realised that the outfits don't make our butts look big; our butts make our butts look big !

[santa]Mufasa

EveryWife said:
"Does this make me look, Fat?"

[blue]Sometimes puncuation is about more than a period, even for 30-day sentences. [/blue]

er, Wally

[blue]________________________________________________________
"To be rather than to seem"
- Official Motto of the State of North Carolina[/blue]

Tim,

A "missing period" can change your life...just ask my wife.[wink]

[santa]Mufasa

SantaMufasa:

Yup.... I've always said "Better a period than a question mark!"

Of course, if my mrs. misses hers, she and I are going to have a LONG talk... then I'm going to have a talk with the doctor who did my Vasectomy......

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Greg,

Hope the dot.doc didn't snip your colon.

After all, that's where semicolons come from.

Kids and punktuation. Who gnu? (er, birds and the bees)

er, Walter

Tim, speaking of "snips", has "Walter" become your alterego?

[santa]Mufasa

Dave,

I'm not like, wedded, to it.

Ooh, my bad. Thought you said "altar"ego.

I'm still Bobbing for applets. To er is human, and all that.

"Adieu." Or, "I Do."

Witch ever means "Good Buy."

Walleye (fission chips glow good with rebaits):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back