Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speak English.... 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Wow, I don't know about you all, but I'm SICK of talking to tech support people who can't speak a darn bit of good english.

I spend a reasonable amount of time on the phone with different support teams and every single one of them from Arcserve to Microsoft Windows 2003 have moved all their support stuff out of the country (USA) and into the middle of places where people can barely pronounce the word Windows.. How the heck are we supposed to get something done when we can't even understand what they're telling us.

I've been playing phone tag with one company for three weeks because everytime they leave me a message and tell me to email them something for a particular support case, I CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT THEIR SAYING WHEN THEY SPELL OUT THE EMAIL ADDRESS!!! Of course, when i call back, i get someone who can even pronounce my 5 letter name, and they can't seem to reach the tech who just called me 5 minutes before...

Anyway.. I just had to vent.

If you ask me, IT is going the way of whatever is cheapest is best. It's BS and not customer friendly at all!! If I call the United States support number, I want to talk to someone who's from the United States!!!

I have no particular preference about any country, and since you've obviously gone off on some insane patriotic rant, I will leave it at this:

Anyone who thinks "Want it done right ... do it in the USA" is gospel, is an idiot.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I stuck this in another post about quotes. Think a few people could benefit:

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber
Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether you’re Soaraway Sun or BBC 1
Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruct
You coulda Caucasian or a poor Asian
Racism is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether inflation or globalization
Fear is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone
Greed is a weapon of mass destruction
We need to find courage, overcome
Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Take a chill pill people.....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

PS Merry Christmas...

And to everyone that's going to say "blah blah blah"

All my Seikh, Hindu, Atheist, Muslim friends are all looking foward to it. They may not celebrate the actual event, but they celebrate the principles, the forgiveness, the family, the give and take.

If people stop claiming others are useless and they are the greatest, then maybe, just maybe, we'd stop killing each other. But I doubt it...

Stu.. 2004

Merry Christmas

(honourable wish Stu, but hasn't happened in the last 2000+ years so probably won't anytime soon, we're all wired differently, some just trip/surge and take out whole swathes of people with them, better check those fuses ;) )

Gurner

Hasn't happened in the last 100,000+ years....

Saw Planet earth with apes beating each other to death, so not much chance for us, we've just gotten better at killing than any other species...

Stu.. 2004

See, this bad tech support is leading us all to talking about killing each other!

I personally think bad tech-support is the anti-christ, but that's a whole nother topic.

Um, chalk up another vote here for the USA being the greatest. We just rock, plain and simple.

Nope, just looked around my desk, not one thing says "Made In USA"....hey ho....

Stu.. 2004

Too many people bash the United States without reason (ok, mainly political). I pointed out the US has contributed more to the world than any country has given in history in so many areas, such as: pharmaceuticals, food safety, medicine, technology, life sciences, bio-technology, electrical, mechanical.

I am backing up insinuated claims made on here the US doesn’t produce anything of quality, or the US isn’t “the best.”

To me the best is a leader; one who stands above others in a chosen field. The United States of America stands above others in medicine, technology, life sciences, etc. This makes America a leader in those fields – the best. You cannot dispute the United States spends more on R&D than any other country on earth which will lead to innovation.

kHz said:
Telephone: Alexander Graham Bell (Scottish)
Phonograph: Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville (French)
Transistor: registered in Germany in 1928

Shall I go on? [wink]

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

He may be Scottish, but Bell invented the telephone while living in the US [thumbsup2]

I thought everyone living in the U.S. was a relatively recent immigrant or a descendant of a recent immigrant, at least compared to Europe, Africa, and Asia. Even the "Native Americans" are immigrants, though from a more distant past.

Lee

Maybe they all are US patents - but that doesn't follow that they were invented by Americans does it?

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

The transistor wsa invented in the '40s by Bell Labs in New Jersey as a replacement for the Vacuum Tube by three Americans.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone was a Scottish-born American. He immigrated to America after Canada.

The phonograph was invented by Thomas Alva Edison who was born in Milan, Ohio.

Example

Person X spent 5 years in a lab in Paris. Went to the US to register a patent on said invention, may or may not stayed, emmigrated or whatever

History will report it was invented in the US

Try for more reference to urban legend and rumours.

Not saying that these events you list didn't occur at all, but retain a sense of perspective. Next people will be claiming Wikipedia contains 100% facts and the Tabloids never lie

Gurner

If USA is The best at everything, why do they make such crap cars?

Stu.. 2004

>Telephone: Alexander Graham Bell (Scottish)

Antonio Meucci, actually ... (and there's a 2002 US House of Representatives resolution to back that up)

If USA is The best at everything, why do they make such crap cars?

Because the automotive companies don't *want* us to have a car that lasts for 20 years. They want us to have a car that lasts for 5 years (until it's paid off at the bank), then go buy a new one.

And the oil companies don't want us to have cars that get 50-60 MPG, because then we don't buy as much gasoline.

Oil companies are the most SHORT SIGHTED businesses on the planet. They don't give a CARP about the needs of the future. It's not like there are more dinosaurs dying (although I take great comfort in knowing that someday, Barney the Dinosaur will be a quart of 10W30).

And it's not just gasoline; that's the part that people forget.

It's everything from axle grease to vaseline; plastics used in medical equipment; it's *all* related to petrolium products.

Explain to me why I had a 1982 Honda Civic that got me 40 MPG, and 25 years later, I have a Jeep that only gets me 17?

The Civic didn't have fuel injection, the Jeep does. And yet the Civic got better MPG.

You mean to tell me that in 25 years, we haven't figured out how to make a more efficient engine? Of *COURSE* we have! But the oil companies don't want us to have them.... because then we'd buy less gasoline.

[/soapbox]
... sorry... this is one of those pet peeves of mine....

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly exchanged his dilithium crystals for new Folger's Crystals." -- My Sister
--Greg

Also the US public don't demand it and the goverment don't push it.

American engines are just not good, I've no idea why. You compare them to Euro / Asian cars and the Power to Weight to Economy ratios are just pathetic.

In Europe, fuel prices are so high that cars have to be economical, put still have the power as they need to be able to shift speed quickly.

As with pretty much everything, it money that is truley the route of all evil. Provide the people with money retain the power, then it will always be this way.
jeepers I sound like a communist....lol

Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.