Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spanning Tree and Port Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelopt61

Technical User
Mar 18, 2008
US
Hello Everyone,
We are having and issue where our Callpilot is throwing Slee codes etc. and the engineer say's it is because we have Spanning Tree and Port Fast set. Yet in the below documentation from Avaya it states that it is okay if the Port Fast option is enabled. Can anyone tell me if they have this set on their system and is it causing any issues? I have tried rebuilding the App Builder objects without any difference and error's etc.

Spanning Tree options on Layer 2 switches
Avaya recommends that you disable the Spanning Tree option on the Layer 2 switch ports that
connect to the TLAN and ELAN network interfaces on the CS 1000M system.
This option is enabled by default on most Layer 2 switches. If the option is left enabled, the
subsequent Spanning Tree discovery algorithm initiated when a device connected to a port is
reset, rebooted, or repowered, can interfere with the Master Election Process in the
Communication Server 1000E system device. In most cases the Master Election Process
recovers after a slight delay. However, Avaya recommends that the Spanning Tree option on
these ports be disabled or the Port Fast option enabled.

Thanks,
Jim

Along with the issues stated above, Spanning Tree can have adverse effects on IP phones due to the reliance on the Sig Servers. I would recommend turning Spanning Tree off on all ports that have Avaya Blue control equipment attached.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back