Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Blaster Live/XP Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inziladun

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
Hey, I wasn't too sure where to put this, so I stuck it here, terribly sorry if it was the wrong place to put it.

I was booting up my computer in diagnostic mode, and when I went to boot back in normal mode, everything went haywire. My compuer 'appearance' is stuck in 'Classic Windows' and my Sound Blaster Live! isn't working (I have no sound). This is just what i've noticed, so far. I've tried many times to boot back into normal mode, using various methods, and while everything seems to be working as normally (with the exception of sound), my appearance remains the same. I've also reinstalled my SB Live several times, yet it still won't come on when I boot my computer, it just offers a diagnostic test which I fail, It asks me to reinstall, yet it does the same thing.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help, but this is the best I can describe the problem.

Maybe System Restore can get you out of this situation?

If not, tell us more about your machine and this "Diagnostic Mode" and why (and what) it says it is failing? What caused you to try "Diagnostic Mode" in the first place?

System Restore somehow got switched off (I don't know why).

'Diagnostic Mode' starts only your system devices (no start up items). I put on 'Diagnostic Mode' to try to rid myself of some start up items, ever since then, i've been suffering this problem.

Sound uses a lot more system resources than many other installs, and sound drivers really like certain irq and dont like to share, whereas video and other pci cards arent so fussy about what irq they are on or if sharing.
So you could uninstall as much as you can uninstall on pci, then install sound. Make sure sound is all good then install other pci items one at a time.
Before you get started check out dev mgr and see if there are any yellow or red marks.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Hey, thank you for the reply. I opened up device manager and the list was empty. I also got a curious error message when trying to install something for my mum (she really needed it installed, I don't like doing that when my computer is messed up :() And it said something along the lines of 'this error commonly occurs when in safe mode'. This made me think that my PC could be stuck in safe mode, but I wasn't aware you could go online in safe mode... Just thought i'd add the theory.

you can go online with safe mode in networking. If your not sure how to get your computer back in normal mode if its not doing it automatically when you restart then do this. Restart the computer, soon as you see the black loading screen start pressing F8 repeatedly till either you hear a beep or are brought to a black screen with options. Then just choose start windows normally.

Electronicsfreak: Yes, I am aware how to switch back and forth between modes, and have done so many times, nothing changed except for my startup items.

Linney: Ah, thank you! That fixed my device manager problem... Ah, it feels good to at least make some progress, and to answer Garebo's earlier question: there's a yellow exclaimation mark next to 'Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)'

I'd suggest you uninstall the card,poweroff, remove the card, reboot, get the latest driver from the site,poweroff, install the card in another slot,reboot, install the card.And see what that gives...

rgrds,

R.

actually if there is a yellow exclamation I would remove the hardware and then tell the system to rescan for hardware changes.

By doing that it 'should' reinstall the device with the drivers installed (assuming you haven't deleted any of the driver files).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

If all of the above fails, not to worry. You have to understand that sound is the worst for taking up resources, especially irq's. Worse, its the worst at sharing irq's as well!
So you may have to move your sound to the first pci slot and uninstall all other pci devices, let sound install first and then install all the others. That my very well be the only way to avoid all the issues (red and\or yellow) in device mgr and to get your sound working properly.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Have a read of these and see if there is anything useful?.

Check your Services, make sure "Windows Audio" is started, running and on Automatic. (Services are located in the same area as the Event Viewer.

313022 - There Is No Audio Playback After You Install the Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card

821995 - Intermittent and Unpredictable Results Occur After You Update the Audio Driver for Sound Blaster Live!

304778 - Previously Installed SBLive! Accessories Do Not Work After Upgrade from Windows Me to Windows XP

Kelly's-Korner has the following tip.
Sound Blaster Live

Woooo! Ok, I installed the Sound Card into another slot, and now my sound is working. Thank you for the great help, but now I need to fix my 'Classic Windows' thing.

As I said before, all my windows are stuck in 'Classic' So they look all blocky... and ugly. When I go into 'appearance' settings, the only option is 'windows classic'.

Linney: Thanks, but none of that works. It's simply acting as if I don't even have another option to switch my Desktop to.

What have you listed in this folder?

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Do you have this file?

Luna.theme

You cannot change your desktop theme in Windows XP

How to configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Well the first link worked, I guess a lot of my services just stopped running... for whatever reason. Thanks for all the help guys, if I have any more problems i'll let you guys know :)

Heh, I guess I was in a rush to accept that my PC was fixed :)

I'm trying to install 'Adobe Reader' and I get this error Message:

'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'

Same answer, check the Windows Installer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back