Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort dynamically filled combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps40life

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
I have a combo box that looks up the reports available in the database. I saw a way of making this dynamic in a VBA book with the following code:

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim objAO As AccessObject
Dim objCP As Object
Dim strValues As String

Set objCP = Application.CurrentProject

For Each objAO In objCP.AllReports
strValues = strValues & objAO.Name & ";"
Next objAO

lstReports.RowSourceType = "value list"
lstReports.RowSource = strValues
End Sub

It was taking the names from a table and as new reports were added, I had to constantly update the table. This code works great. Only problem is the list in the combo is not in alphabetical order. How can I set the combo to sort??
Thanks!
Susan [bigsmile]

ps40life,

In order to fill the combo box with sorted values you will have to sort them. Since I can't imagine an astronomical number of Reports, I suggest you use a bubble sort. So read all the Report names into an array, sort the array and then create a string with all the names in order. You can modify your code to reflect something like this:
Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim knt As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim aryNames() As String
Dim temp As String
Dim values As String

knt = CurrentProject.AllReports.Count - 1
ReDim aryNames(knt)
For i = 0 To knt
aryNames(i) = CurrentProject.AllReports(i).Name
Next

'Sort the names
For i = 1 To Knt
For j = 0 To knt - i
If aryNames(j) > aryNames(j + 1) Then
temp = aryNames(j)
aryNames(j) = aryNames(j + 1)
aryNames(j + 1) = temp
End If
Next
values = aryNames(j) & ";" & values
Next
values = aryNames(0) & values

lstReports.RowSourceType = "value list"
lstReports.RowSource = values
End Sub
HTH,
jc

Mongoose,
It has been awhile since I posted this, but I finally got around to doing it. It works great!! I did have to change one small thing in the following line of code:

values = aryNames(j) & ";" & values

The first and second report were showing up on the same line, so I just put the ";" before aryNames(j) and it works perfectly.

values = ";" & aryNames(j) & values

So, I would like to take this a little further. Is there a way to filter out some of the reports, since there are subreports and just some that I don't want to show. Let's say I started them all with the same letter or something like that, how could I not show them in the combo box?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it! [2thumbsup]

Can anyone else help me finish this code? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back