Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony DVD Drive and auto launch of Quicktime 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNY

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
I recently upgraded an NEC DVD/CD ROM drive with a Sony DVD burner. Before I swapped drives, Music Match was launched upon disk insertion. Now, with the new drive, Quick time launches when a disk is inserted. I've tried everything to shut down Quick Time such as disenabling through start-up, changing file associations. Nothing seems to work. Do I have to uninstall Quick time to put an end to this? I'm using Windows XP. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Open Music Match, then click on OPTIONS on the tool bar and then SETTINGS then check the files you want Music Match to be the default player for. See if that helps.

Quicktime is one of those progs you need but dont like the way they operate.
If all fails and you have to uninstall quicktime, can i suggest you go into your registry (run\regedit) and manually look for and delete references to quicktime. The reason i say this is they get left behind after an uninstall.
You might even check your registry without uninstalling, see if there are any references there that you could delete.
Of course, you want to back up your registry before you start so you can put it back the way it was if need be.
I use goback if i want my old registry back. I make sure there is a safe point before i start and make note of it. But not everyone uses goback. I dont know if system restore will do that for you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

@KevinADC
That's all been done already. What is happening is that Quicktime has hijacked all CD's that are launched, even CD's launched from the other CD burner on the same computer.

@garebo
I have considered your suggestion and it is the last last choice. I would like to retain Quicktime but would like to render it inert..............until I need it. But, if there is no modification I can make to preferences, to device manager or whatever, I will delete Quicktime.

If anyone has an intermediate remedy besides an uninstall, I'd like to try it.

As for now, the ONLY way I know to prevent Quicktime from running upon playing a CD is to hold down the Cntl and Shift keys when launching the CD. This action interrupts Autorun which interrupts Quicktime from launching.

Well in case you want to turn off auto run this is how you do it. For 2000 and xp anyways. Go to start, run, then type regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and now click on cdrom so that the folder is in blue. Look to your right you will see it says autorun. Right click on it and left click on modify and change the value from 1 to 0. If you ever want to turn it back on simply change the value back to 1.

I agree that Quicktime seems to be in the middle of this mess. As far as I remember each version of QT had an installer accessible from the programmes list (not add/remove programmes) but the versions have differred and it is not a cert that the last versions uninstaller will clean up the first versions files. Looking around the web I found a suggestion for a brute force approach after trying all the unstallers you can find at

At that point if you have it I'd run someting like registry mechanic which at that point will see registry entries for quicktime as orphans and clean them up.

Comfirm the issue has now resolved itself.

Reinstalling quicktime is a real pain now as you have find a standalone version of quicktime without i-tunes to avoid a number of annoying issues. There is one, and I seem remember it was this but you'll have to check it out yuorself. Certainly if you don't need itunes yuo are better without it!

HTH

I'm beginning to think that an uninstall coupled with a sanitized retistry will work. Thereafter, I think I am going to look for a Quicktime alternative. I know I've seem alternative players on the web. After I solve this, I'll report back and let you know the solution. Thanks for all your responses.

I know itunes is a pain in the butt, but i didnt know quick time came with itunes in it?
thanks for the info!

quick time is a pain in the butt. I remember I uninstalled it a while back for the same or very similar problem. QT took over files that I didn't want it to take over. And I especially hated how it automatically inserted itself into the taskbar and startup applications. I would also just uninstall QT if nothing else works.

Quicktime is usually forced with itunes download now on the site. Its hard unless you use alternative sites from my experience to get one without the other. Of course I dont use either only went to get quicktime once to view a video a friend sent me but it was going to force me to download itunes as well. So I didnt download it. Not a big fan of macintosh/apple lol.

Reason i asked is that we all know or should know that itunes is a terrible piece of software. It ruins your existing progs and causes even more probs when you uninstall it! It ranks with the worst of the worst. Worse than scandisk, lol.

Makes you kind of wonder if it isnt macs way of sticking it to windows considering gates and jobs both kind of stole/received the software and modified it to there own(refering to macintosh/windows). Then bill gate somehow wound up owning part of apple so makes you wonder if this isnt a secret get you back idea lol.

One more question:
Why did Quick Time only begin to act up when new hardware was installed? Prior to the new installation, it pretty much didn't launch unless I deliberatly did so. Is it possible that the firmware burnt onto the drive breadboard is programmed to launch quicktime? If that's the case, I'm really creeped out since I know that Sony discs have a root kit built into them!

It has nothing to do with the Firmware, firmware is just a driver for that certain ATAPI unit...

once you have added a NEW CD/DVD ROM, Windows ASSIGNS Auto-Handlers to it... and QT is probably on the TOP of that list and takes over...

suggested like all the others say, DEINSTALL, Clean the REG of all the QT (Apple) references, reboot... if you need the alternative I listed above, then install it now... if not leave it off the system...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Im sure it has nothing to do with the new drive. It has to do with software installed on your system and what it does to your system. In this case its quicktime. Itunes is even worse but quicktime is bad enuf.

Another thing, people install programs and these programs ask if they can take over certain files with certain extensions. People either dont realize it or just go ahead and ok it, but this may be a case of what can happen. When installing one of these programs i dont allow the program to take over any extensions. When i go to use it, i can allow that extension at that time, but not during installation. In your case it seems that quicktime just took over. But it could be that somehow you ok'd quicktime to take over certain functions and may not have realized it. It doesnt really matter, and im not meaning anything by this, its just a partial explanation of how these things can happen and i am pointing out we have to be more careful.
Also, some programs take matters into their own hands and it appears that quicktime has done that. But its not a matter of your new drive having that burned into firmware.

@BadBigBen and garebo,
I'm sure it is Quicktime. I have a dual boot system and none of this occurs on the other drive..........because I don't have Quicktime on that drive.

I'm going to Deinstall Quicktime as instructed. BTW, I ran into a good video substitute for Quicktime: Power DVD. Check it out.

Thanks for your all your help guys,
Bob

We're just glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back