Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony DVD Drive and auto launch of Quicktime 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNY

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
I recently upgraded an NEC DVD/CD ROM drive with a Sony DVD burner. Before I swapped drives, Music Match was launched upon disk insertion. Now, with the new drive, Quick time launches when a disk is inserted. I've tried everything to shut down Quick Time such as disenabling through start-up, changing file associations. Nothing seems to work. Do I have to uninstall Quick time to put an end to this? I'm using Windows XP. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply!

BobNY, yes, the apple people blew it on this one. Course they are more interested in supporting mac computers, not win pcs. Not complaining, just kinda thinking out loud about human nature, lol.

Still, its a good program. The only problem is that quicktime thinks its totally necessary and must be in the startup folder. Kinda like adobe acrobat. But adobe doesnt seem to re-appear like quicktime does.

The other issue is there but i dont see it as a real problem, easy to get around.
But, heck, its easy to go into my startup files and uncheck quicktime too, lol, so i guess i shouldnt be whining!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

@BobNY - that is why I suggested the QT Alternative, it is in fact a CODEC which allows the use of any PLAYER you CHOOSE...

@Garebo - that is strange that yours does not popup... mine does, but I also check the StartUp places (all 29 of them) regularly with a script or RegCleaner, it is always better to be safe then to be sorry later...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks Ben. Oh well, its not a big deal on the quicktime-m\soft prog. I could prolly re-install and that would fix it.

I dont use reg cleaners as i find they cause more problems than they fix, like scandisk and nortons win utils, lol. Plus, when i uninstall any program i manually delete all references in the registry. Its easy, just think of the company name, the program name, and any other words that are associated with that prog and plug them into the "find" and delete them. Never gone wrong with that way. Do have to be careful, though, sometimes an entry looks like one prog but its another. But thats a job for system restore or goback, lol. I make a system restore point before i start.

But i do like the QT alternative!!

This is such a great place, I learn so much. Plus, no spamming, swearing, rudeness, etc. And people like you, pap,linney, cdogg, etc etc etc know so much and are willing to pass it on, its great!! I am cheap, but i would gladly pay to be here. Hope the boss doesnt read this, lol.
Yesterday a customer brought a pc in and i couldnt find the fix for it. I did a search here and found it. Now i dont have to post the problem and show how really dumb i am, lol again!

Garebo - glad that our knowledge (I am still learning myself, even from you) is helping out...

btw. I only use RegCleaner to get rid of things manually, like in the Startups...

shoot I wish I could get a job now doing this but the Federal Gov. (Germany) has changed so much, that getting them to pay for a Job-Training is like close to zero now, that is why I am looking abroad to get the Certifications myself...

Ben

One problem is that you can learn all you want and be able to do so much but you still need that piece of paper these days.

@BadBigBen
Media Player Classic is a good codec and a fine substitute for q-time. Do you happen to know of a substitute codec that will handle BOTH q-time AND realplayer?

There is a player called the vlc. I think thats the name.

I was going to mention that earlier and forgot. This one is supposed to play anything and everything video. Maybe everything audio too, but video for sure.

Its had very good reviews but i dont recall having used it yet, but i may have in my last new install.

@Garebo - Yes, I know about the PAPER... that is why I am going for the certification, but the dumbnuts at the employment office refuse (even though they are bound by law)...

@BobNY - yes, just as QT Alternative there is a REAL Alternative (aptly named, LOL)

Ben

@Garebo
I'm familiar with Videolan. I've not installed it but did download it. Reading the info about the codec, it is not as inclusive as I would like.

Sure, I could download various substitute players for each application. But, I'm not inclined to load up my hard drive with so much software. What is lacking, and I've looked, is a comprehensive codec that can manage both audio and video including mpeg, win media, real player, q-time. I've not found one yet.

I dont really know that much about the different codecs and such. The only players i ever use are quicktime (very sparingly if at all, but its there), power dvd, winamp, win media player, and nero media player. Other than power dvd i play everything else using nero media player or nero showtime. I get a lot of different movies from the net and nero media player or nero showtime plays them all. I dont know if i am missing anything or not.

Hm I knew nero made burning applications however didnt know they made applications for other things as in videos and stuff. Learn something new everyday lol.

@BobNY - you wont find it either... there is no such animal yet...

@Garebo and ElecFreak - yes, Nero has a nice Mediaplayer, comes either in the SUITE or can be dl'd seperately... but I, like BobNY, don't like various apps filling my HD, when one can do them all, CODECS installed of course...

Ben

I'm the other way around. I have 4 different mp3 players and each have their own different software prog. It goes on and on. I like those little progs that i couldnt live without, like the little screen capture called printkey. Of course I have a couple more the same loaded,lol.
Pdf to text, text finders, on and on and on. Good thing my win xp pro installs last for 5 yrs, lol.

Maybe 4 yrs, lol. At least until my newest mobo.

Speaking of mp3 players i love winamp although it has the arrangement intelligence of a 2 year old lol.

A little off target: another "improved" alternative is "Fox-It.exe". A 1.3meg (yes, meg) replacement for Adobe reader. Small and quick.

I think this topic is dead anyway, so no harm done.
I like those pdf to text and pdf to such and such progs, really helpful. I have one that takes pics out of pdf files, great prog.
Problem is i cant point them out, dont think the mgr of this site would appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back