Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some Mail Not Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hup

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
SG
Hi,
I started to use exchange 5.5 with SP2 two months ago. I had change the MX record in the DNS to the current mail server. At the beginning I encouter mail not receive from people. However, after two weeks, I have no much problem. However, recently I was imform by my colleague that they could not receive mail from some of their customer(about five different customer).

I ask the customer to send to my hotmail account,I can received. Then I send to myself and I can receive too. But when they send direct to me, I cannot receive. Below are two type of error from two sender.

Error 1
<< Deferred: Connection reset by receiver server(that's mine mail server) Warning: message undelivered after four hours.>>

Error2
<<The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message. The The MTS-ID of the original message Is:c=US;a= ;p=Trade;I=NT4SERVV-020118163240Z-646.
MSEXCH:IMS:Trade:NT4Serv 3499 (000B099C) Host unreachable>>

Have anyone encounter this problem before? I've been trying to solve this for the pass two weeks. Could it be my DNS setting wrong? Or is it the sender DNS was not update of our change in MX record? Can &quot;Tracert&quot; command do the update to the sender DNS of our record?

Hup

If possible talk the sender through checking that their DNS is resolving to the correct ip address, and then get them to connect directly (telnet port 25) to your mailserver and send a message inbound using SMTP commands (these are easily available on the Internet). The console may gave you more insight into the problem and whether its the smtp servive or the exchange server. The error messages you posted seem to indicate both.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I took your advice, but I cannot reach most of them.
I use the nslookup and found out that my sender DNS server does not have my MX record. I manage to get one to refresh the DNS cache. And so far after that, it works well.
Is there a way other than asking the Sender administrator to do a DNS refresh? As I waited for a few days, there is no respond from some of them. I wish I can do update for them.

Hup

by using the Telnet command how do i send mail???????????

I am receiving the same Host unreachable message. When my users mail one particular large company none of our mail is received by them. They do a reverse lookup on all incoming mail. We have tested the telnet connection and we communicate.Their server sees our message coming in and then dropping. I think for some reason their mail server is not recognizing the name of our mail server. We recently changed domain names. The outgoing message is going out from our exchange server as IMS.domain-company.com the users mail address is the new address Bob.ttwireless.com.
For some reason on the reverse lookup ttwireless.com is not resolving to domain-company.com even though both dns records point to the same IP. How do I either change the name that the exchange server is sending out, it should be IMS.ttwireless.com or how do I get the DNS records to resolve properly by them on the reverse lookup?

Hi MDev,
Maybe could you try nslookup. I goto hexillion.com 1)central OPs --> 2) nslookup --> 3) the server i put my customer mail server IP --> 4) domain --> I put mine. --> 5) The timeout put 30000.--> 6)Go.
See whether is your mx record is captured at their server.
Did you try telnet your within your internal network? For my case I found out that I have problem pinging my mail server user server name instead of IP address.
As how to do the setting for exchange reconise as IMS.ttwireless.com I'm not very sure on this.

Regards,
Hup

Hup:

I am experiencing something similiar to what you were experiencing and MDev...

Please explain your last posting again... I do not understand but I want to give it a try...

Thanks,

Basil

Did anyone find a solution for this problem? I am experiencing the same thing as MDEV- domain name change and occasional reverse look-up failures. I suspect reverse DNS configuration error...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back