Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 LAN configuration problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyan01

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
I have one ultra sparc 1 and one ultra sparc 5, both running solaris 8 at home. I am using linksys router to connect these two sun stations and my pc to the internet through a comcast cable modem.

Now, the ultra sparc 1 and the PC are connected to the internet fine. However, I can not get the ultra 5 online. The following is what I did on my ultra sparc 1:

1) add an entry of a local ip, 192.168.1.xxx into file '/etc/hosts';
2) enter the IP of the router, which is 192.168.1.1 into file '/etc/defaultrouter';
3) enter the hostname of the machine being configured into file '/etc/hostname.hme0';
4) enter a nameserver IP into file '/etc/resolv.conf'

The above settings work just fine with my ultra sparc 1, but not with my ultra sparc 5. Could someone tell me what I have missed?

Many thanks!

What kind of error are you getting? Can the Sparc 5 ping the default route? Can the Sparc 1 ping the Sparc 5? Need a little more info. You might want to consider doing a sys-unconfig. This normally catches all the things we tend to forget:))

Good Luck
Yowza

Thank you for your message.

The ultra sparc 5 can not ping the default router. The error message is:

% /usr/sbin/ping 192.168.1.1
ICMP Host Unreachable from gateway localhost (127.0.0.1) for icmp from localhost (127.0.0.1) to 192.168.1.1

The ultra sparc 1 can not ping the ultra sparc 5. The error message is:

% /usr/sbin/ping 192.168.1.110
no answer from 192.168.1.110

Might be something as simple as a bad cable, interface, or port. Try pinging local host and switching cables.

Good Luck,
Yowza

I did switch cables and made sure both cables are just fine. I can also ping the localhost without any problems. Now I suspect that the lan cable jack could be wrong. But I don't know how to check it.

Some more info here for anyone that could help.

I was in hurry when I installed Solaris 8 on the Ultra Sparc 5. I don't remember I set a static IP to this machine, such as 192.168.1.110. After installation, I added an entry '192.168.1.110' as a loghost in /etc/hosts. Is there anything wrong or missing here? If so, how can fix it w/o reinstall OS?

Since I did not give a domain name to this machine, I cannot use ypmatch command to tell the machine's ip. Is there a way to find out the machine's static ip is actually the one I set - 192.168.1.110?

Thanks for you attention and advice/guidance.

and pls. post output:
netstat -rn

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Here are the outputs. I hope they are going to line up correctly.

Many thanks!

% /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
hme0: flags=1000842<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 broadcast 127.255.255.255

% /usr/bin/netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
224.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 U 1 0 hme0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 26 4828 lo0

Routing Table: IPv6
Destination/Mask Gateway Flags Ref Use If
--------------------------- --------------------------- ----- --- ------ -----
fe80::/10 fe80::a00:20ff:fe77:33cf U 1 0 hme0
ff00::/8 fe80::a00:20ff:fe77:33cf U 1 0 hme0
default fe80::a00:20ff:fe77:33cf U 1 0 hme0
::1 ::1 UH 1 0 lo0

I am sorry for making a huge mistake in the output of command 'netstat'. The only output is :

% /usr/bin/netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
224.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 U 1 0 hme0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 26 4828 lo0

There is no output for "Routing Table: IPv6". Because the ultra sparc 5 is not online, so I got the output from my sparc 1 first as a template. when I posted it, I forgot removing the extra part. Sorry for the confusion!

your interface is not configured correctly; it has got the loopback IP bound to it.

Check the /etc/hostname.hme0 file; if it contains a locical name (eg. myhost-hme) lookup the logical name in /etc/hosts and correct the entry of the ip adress and give it a reboot;
-> eg
192.168.1.44 myhost-hme
you can run eg.
ifconfig hme0 inet 192.168.1.44 netmask 255.255.255.0
as a quick fix...

you can run sys-unconfig and boot machine again; it will ask for all necessary info on boot

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - &quot;Home of the Whopper&quot;, oh no, &quot;Home of the Oktoberfest&quot; ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

there is a good FAQ in Networking on this Server

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - &quot;Home of the Whopper&quot;, oh no, &quot;Home of the Oktoberfest&quot; ;-)

Thank you so much, Franz! I solved the problem using following commands:

# /usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0 plumb

# /usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0 192.168.1.110 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

# /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 192.168.1.110 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
ether 8:0:20:a0:21:57

The commands in FAQ linked in your post are slightly different:

##########################################
To bind an IP address to a Network Interface Card
#ifconfig -a
--- to check the configuration
#ifconfig qfe0 plumb
--- to enable the first Network Interface Card
#ifconfig qfe0 <ip address> netmask <subnet> up
--- to bind IP address, subnet, and enable the configuration
##########################################

What is 'qfe0' in the commands above? Could you explain?

Thanks gain!

qfe0 is for a quad ethernet card.
In your case substitute hme0 (your type of ethernet card )

there are so many interface types...

ge0, vge0: gigabit ethernet
hme0, eri0, be0, ...: single NICs hundred megabit ethernet
qfe0, qfe1, qfe2, qfe3: the interfaces on a 4 port hundred megabit ethernet card (the first ones; if you add another the names continue with qfe4...)

Regards
-- Franz

check, if the NIC is setup correctly after a reboot! check what I suggested (/etc/hostname.hme0, /etc/hosts)

Regards
-- Franz

Hi, Franz,

I have more questions to follow this time. First, I don't know how to check if the NIC is setup correctly after a reboot. But I just noticed that everytime I reboot my machine, the machine lost its IP binding! In other words, the commands I used to bind IP:

# /usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0 plumb
# /usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0 192.168.1.110 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

are ONLY good for hte session. Therefore, here comes my question:

How to permanently bind an IP to a server?

Many thanks!

just run
Code:
echo 192.168.1.110 > /etc/hostname.hme0
when you reboot /etc/rc2.d/S69inet will configure the interface with the above ifconfig commands for you
(default subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0, if you need another one use /etc/netmasks to change this default)

Regards
-- Franz

There is one entry already in the file /etc/hostname.hme0, which is the server name. In my case, I named my server name as "sable".

I did the exactly same settings in my other two Ultra Sparc 1 (both running solaris 8) and they both work just fine. Why doe this one not work as the other two?

Thanks.

hmm, strange, it should work; try putting the IP Address inside, not the name; can this host lookup the name sable in it's /etc/hosts? Is the entry unique?

Regards
-- Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back