Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 LAN configuration problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyan01

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
I have one ultra sparc 1 and one ultra sparc 5, both running solaris 8 at home. I am using linksys router to connect these two sun stations and my pc to the internet through a comcast cable modem.

Now, the ultra sparc 1 and the PC are connected to the internet fine. However, I can not get the ultra 5 online. The following is what I did on my ultra sparc 1:

1) add an entry of a local ip, 192.168.1.xxx into file '/etc/hosts';
2) enter the IP of the router, which is 192.168.1.1 into file '/etc/defaultrouter';
3) enter the hostname of the machine being configured into file '/etc/hostname.hme0';
4) enter a nameserver IP into file '/etc/resolv.conf'

The above settings work just fine with my ultra sparc 1, but not with my ultra sparc 5. Could someone tell me what I have missed?

Many thanks!

The settings in /etc/hosts
==========================
sable 1 => cat /etc/hosts
#
# Internet host table
#
127.0.0.1 localhost loghost sable
192.168.1.110 sable loghost
-----------------------------------------

The settings in /etc/hostname.hme0
==================================

sable 2 => cat /etc/hostname.hme0
sable
------------------------------------------

Is there anything wrong here?

I see, remove "sable" from the line

Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost       loghost [b]sable[/b]

reboot and everything's fine (pressing thumbs) ;)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

It worked! Thank you so much.

One last question: when you type your answer in this forum, how do you use the CODE mode.

Thank you again.

:)
quite easy, like all BB-Code tags are written in []
starting with code and ending with /code

please see more here

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back