Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software corruption on Brand New Mitel 3300 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello guys,

Has anyone experienced or heard of software corruption on the Mitel 3300 v4.1? My customer had one installed about a week ago and accidently rebooted the controller (unplugged the power cord)without doing a soft/clean shutdown. The corruption occurred on the voicemail. No routing functionality, no voicemail, no alarm lights but outgoing calls were working after the corruption. It's not a programming corruption but really a corruption at the OS level between the OS and the hardware mapping. The authorized vendor is on the phone with Mitel trying to fix the issue right now. He has so far seen 3 of these cases.

Thanks,
fs483

What does the db say is programmed? Was this the first time that the controller was reset after the initial programming? What I'm getting at is I would suspect first that something wasn't saved properly in the first place.

It's not the first time the controller has been rebooted however, all the other times, it was a proper shutdown. This is the only time the power cord was yanked out. Also, it's not the programming but really the OS that is corrupted so even restoring a backup doesn't fix the problem.

Just to be clear, by 'OS' do you mean the image/executable? or something else? The image is loaded into memory on each reboot, so to say that it is corrupted is to say that the file itself on the system was somehow altered. If you think that this is the case, then reinstall and then restore your db.

What do you mean when you say that the restore doesn't fix the problem? Are these problems/logs with the restore, or does it complete properly?

What do you mean by 'the corruption occurred on voicemail'? What doesn't work?

Lou, not to be picky, but that's what I'm getting at, the 'OS' is contained within the image file RTC8260 and gets loaded into RAM on startup, so unless that file gets corrupted, the 'OS' can't be corrupted. The database can, but not the OS.

possible HDD got bad sectors, just a theory. I had this once during upgrade. A tar.gz file was corrupted on my laptop causing upgrade to fail while size of the file didn't change and it was not clear what is causing it until I checksummed every file and matched it with original CD.

Hello have you tried a data base restore from an earlier date. This may be the quickest way of getting the site working also it will determine if the fault lies on the db or vmail database files or the vx works core system

The provider managed to get everything back up and running with the support of Mitel engineers. I haven't had a chance to talk to the provider but from what I believe, it was indeed the OS that was corrupted. There were not hard drive issues.

Good to hear you're back in business. I'm curious still however how, without HDD corruption, you can have an 'OS' corruption which is essentially reading a file from disk. Any idea what was done to get the system back up and running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back