Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone extension duplicate IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosdmm

ISP
Apr 26, 2012
AR
Hi, I´ve this error when softphone login: "An extension with this IP address is already configured".
I´ve created user and extension, but when I login softphone, it tooks another base extension. Can you help me?

Note: in the VoIP tab, IP address, it´s in 0.0.0.0 because the user don´t have the same phisycal place. (CALL CENTER)

Thanks

Is a power user profile and CCR Agents. The idea is 2 or 3 agents in different times of day, log in softphone at the same site (desktop).

CCR, Callcenter and softphone in one line :)
You must have a strong heart!
What version do you use for IPO and softphone?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

For Softphones you should NOT create a extension, IP Office does that on the fly when the softphone registers itself.
Pretty clear in the docs.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

answers:
- All users use the same PC/softphone
- PC is at the same site as the IPOffice
- PC SoftPhone V ??? instaled with R7.0 DVD

About intrigant answer: if I should not create a extension then what number of extension is configured in the user profile? For login, users need an extension number ... I think there is something I don´t understand...

The user can even be a user with a hardphone.
As long as a user has a login code and softphone enabled it is capable of using a softphone.
When the user logs in then the IPOffice will create a temp sip extension (it does not need a sip phone license as it has already a license for the softphone) and deletes it 5/10 minutes after logging out.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

IP Office 101 is a bit of a mind-leap: Extension numbers belong to users, not to the extension devices.

I've long argued with the Avaya folks that the extension setting 'Base Extension' would be better named something like 'Default User' to a) make clear its an association with a user record, b) make users and hunt groups the only entries that had a field labelled 'Extension Number'.

In the case of the IP Office Softphone, the user logging in assigns that user's extension number to the softphone (they are effectively hot desking) and creates an on-the-fly/dynamic/temporary/choose your name extension record for the duration (plus a few minutes) while logged in.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Base extension seems logical enough to me.
I don't think Avaya should redesign a fundamental concept that has worked for years just to suit the untrained public.

Yes it is hard when you start with phones- the biggest conceptual leap is the understanding that a port does not necessarily mean an extension. Once you understand that concept you are away. It really is a brain strain at first. I used to read the NEC manuals like book at lunch time between call outs.

NEC PABXs have LENS instead of base extension ID and the extension is assigned to a LEN in a different command, so the concept is very similar and found throughout many manufacturers.

Inter.bmp

Kids, Kids, It's Avaya. You're both right.

ps not calling you 'the untrained public' sizbut. [bigsmile]

Inter.bmp

Kids, Kids, It's Avaya. You're both right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back