Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So much free time and not a slacker 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbbb

MIS
Jun 4, 2003
US
As an admin for my company sometimes there are so much free time. I usually finish my routine within the first 3 hours or so, the remaining time I would read papers and news and handle emails, work and personals.

Yes there are times when I experiment with new software and technology days on end. It is not part of my job description but that is one way I learn newer stuffs.

From this post, I'm wondering if you guys do the same. I know there are some who works in an under-staffed environment so your day is filled with case after case. But for those of you who are in a much calmer environment, what do you do to kill time? Let's get a survey.

you may not be highly busy all the time. you may be able to complete your work as a part time employee.
the other consideration is that they have the opportunity to use you for solutions on a full time basis. they pay for that opportunity to use your skills, whether you are, or are not highly busy all the time.

look at this from a firemans perspective. they train at the firehouse, the wait at the firehouse, they study at the firehouse, they get paid at the firehouse. because of this, when a fire alarm goes off, they respond to minimize the effects of the source of the alarm in a prompt fashion. they safeguard the investments of, and ability to retain the resources of the employer in alarm situations.
they get paid to sit and wait because there is a value to their response, and response time for the people they serve. same with you. also, if you were part time, they would not be able to call you at any time of the day, and expect you to respond in the same fashion as if you were full time. you might be gamefully, otherwise employed during that time elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back