Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snips Sharpening?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricos0

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
Does anybody know a good way to sharpen snips? ;(especially after my buddy borrows them to cut the aramid when doing fiber)

good question! what is the easiest way? i'm tired of buying new ones.

I use a flat file if they are really dinged up, then a sharpening stone to finish them off. Just need to put an edge on them the same angle as they had. I usually sharpen once...then order a new set anyway, but it can be done with a small file and stone. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

One blade usually has 'teeth' on the edge to keep the wire from slipping. Try not to remove these.

or just make your friend who screwed them up buy you a new pair :) jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I have looked at this as well and tried a tool specific for sharpening scissors which was ok but not like factory new. Then I thought about a Roto tool with a sharpening stone and it is too hard to be precise and accurate. Then I sought out the professional and the cost was greater than the actual cost of snips. Then I figured, what the hell--they are only about $8.00-$10.00 anyway, so I just buy two at a time now which last about 3 months or longer depending on how lazy I get.

I found a sharpener at LOWES designed to sharpen Electrician Scissors. It is in my other tool bag, but will look latter and repost. I think it was made by Klein.

Although it sounds like this would actually dull them, try this Super Cheap Method one of our Leads showed me:

Cut an aluminum soda can into thin strips, snip with single deliberate cuts, using the entire length of the blades.

The results aren't factory fresh, but it seems to partially restore my snips. I'm not sure how it works, maybe it re-aligns the tiny serrations or maybe it's just a psychological effect.

;)--BeerHeart

Sure! Get the tall boys for more intensive sharpening! Just be sure to empty them "glug" first!

The one I got at Lowes was a Klein Knife and Scissors Sharpener. Mfg # 48036-SEN cost was $8.96

Says it sharpens in 3 to 4 swipes.

I used on old scissors and it seammed to be great, but now I want to try a beer can. It sounds cheaper and get to drink a few while sharpening scossors.

At one point during my career I was pretty good at this. What I would use was a fine blade flat file. A lot of construction (lineman, splicer's) workers would use the same method. You need to find a fairly flat surface and hold your snips in place while running the file down the beveled edge. Watch your angle. Try not to slip (I have cut fingers to the bone using this method).

The Klein sharpener is good. I like that Beer Can method though.

I usally take them down to a lawn mower repair place that sharpen mower blades. If i get 3-4 pairs done @ a time, it is $2-3 per pair.
When I was a project manager, re-shapening was one of my 'perks' I'd give my guys. They loved it. mnmcomm
The best price is not always the best value

Status
Not open for further replies.