Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snips/Scissors vs. Cutters/Dikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hey guys,

I was doing an install the other day when a very mediocre ILEC tech came along, and thought it was the funniest thing in the world that I use electricicans scissors instead of regular cutters. I gave up dikes years ago, and definitly won't go back.

But I started wondering how many others do too, and if they like them??? They seem to have so many advantages....Check out the new Clauss ones.

-T-

I'm skinny, and I still wear my crack with PRIDE!!!!

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

Just say "no" to crack, guys! LOL As far as the ring tool, I don't think it should be used on any "tight twisted" cable like Cat5---too many cut wires. They worked great in the old days on standard Telco cable. The pairs were flatter and didn't get cut. We called the ring tool a "butter". (I'm from the old Western Electric days). We also had a stripper to remove the sheathing.

Jim

I LOVE the shirt, I got a tech on staff who is SO deserving!!!!

:)

-T-

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I use dikes to cut the cable, and a stripping tool to strip the jacket. I sometimes use snips just to trim jacks. I personally carry a tool bag which holds a lot of stuff.

jeff moss

Hmmm...a hatchet: Perfect for those times where you have to troublesoot a MS Windows-based voicemail system. O those times when someone has used triple sheetrock and you can get your drywall knife through....Useful...

:)

-T-

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

Snips, punch tool,small screwdriver, toner & wand. If I can't fix it with those on me-it can't be fixed.

Great idea. I just added the hatchet to my truck tool stock.

I will be going to collect $$$ for jobs next week.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Snips snips snips. Please, Cadallic to a Pinto. REAL TECHS USE SNIPS!!!!

The secret of Joy in work is contained in one word- excellence- To know how to do something well is to enjoy it..

Watched a guy give him self a MASSIVE shiner today with his 25-pair ringing tool. I asked him if he was OK, giggled a bit, and gave him my proper jacket slitter.....

Ohh silly techs.... He's gonna need a bis A** steak to fix that black eye!

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I have been using the D snips for a little over a year and I can't think of using anything else--I just wish that Harris would have put either a flat head on the long handle end or an insert that I could put a phillips or a flathead in.

if you think that was good--you should have heard my idea about target freshener tablets in the urinals that would cost you a nickel to find out how powerfull your stream is.........2thumbsup

I know this thread is old, but just my 2 cents (CDN). I've been using the D-Snips for a long time now, and the old kleins for a long time before that. If anyone ever scoffs the use of "scissors", tell them you can cut a penny in half, faster than he can with his side cutters. Of course, it's illegal to cut a penny in half, but whatever. :)

Also, the wire stripping notches are a friggin life saver. They are so fast for quickly toning out a phone line, etc. 2-3 seconds from jacket, to wire, to bare copper. Makes newbies eyes bulge.

Yeah, and I find they stay sharp a long, long time. My electrician friends tell me that they should dull quickly, and I always remind them that we're not cutting #2 ground wire with them. I've gotten mnay many pairs wet, and they stain from the water, but they never rust, and they always stay sharp!

-T-

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I just got the Fiskars DataComm snips at Lowe's today. Not bad for 7 dollars. They have nice handles and stripping notches on both sides of the blades.

jeff moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back