Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP gmail Less Secure App Access Discontinued 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap364

Vendor
Mar 29, 2012
US
FYI,

As of May 30, 2022 anyone who set up a gmail account to forward emails from IPO will be unable due to them discontinuing access from third party apps without two factor auth.

You will see in monitor:

SMTP error: "-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
535 5.7.8 f22-20020ac87f16000000b00304ec60f711sm4468708qtk.39 - gsmtp
", or something similar.

I have used this option for years and have never had an issue, but apparently it's deemed a hacking risk now.

Hope this helps.

Really strange, the gmail account I use for IPO is still working

I don't know what Google's issue with this is because setting up a Office 365 account and using that to send email from the IPO works fine. Unless Microsoft is going to put an end to this too... Yes, an O365 account costs money, but that's the only difference smtp.office365.com vs smtp.gmail.com - both use port 587 and TLS enabled along with User ID and Password.

Anyone who has a Google account that supports Less Secure App passwords has no problem, it's just those Google accounts that Less Secure Apps was just a check box to enable that is now having a problem. I don't know what the difference is between the two types of Google accounts and how you can get one that supports App Passwords if yours already doesn't.

I found the fix for this today... You need to do three things.

1) Go into the google account security settings and setup 2 Factor Authentication.
2) Go to the google account security settings and setup "App Passwords"
3) Change the password in Manager or HMail Server from the actual account password to the new App password you setup.

Thanks, I will try the 2F and see if this works however I don't trust Google drive change this in the future.

Has anyone had success with an alternative method?

Nortel4Ever I s wondering, do you know why a hugh company like Nortel closed down?

Thanks!

We tried the Google method of setting up 2fa and using the app password but unfortunately it is still not working. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Through some digging, I have found a solution to keep the email forwarding working with gmail.

You have to turn on 2-step verification under Security Settings for the gmail account you're using for your email forwarding, and have a text-capable phone # on file.

Once turned on, create an App password, and verify using the 2-step authentication.
You only have to do this once.

Afterwards, you can enter that password in your IPO systems and everything should work as before.

The only rub is that if the account PW is ever changed, you need to generate a new App password and update your systems.

Hope this helps.

Edit-- Just saw gknight1's post with the same solution.

Sorry for the duplicate. [wink]

I have recently moved to the outlook.com solution discussed in this thread....
It seems to be working just fine.... for now.

Please remember... If it's not the way that YOU would do it, that does not necessarily mean it's wrong. EVERYONE knows SOMETHING that you do not.

When I use the gmail smtp for vm to email function. But the ip address of the smtp gamil changes all the time. I need to add or change the ip route to make it work. Is there any ways to update or change the ip route more easily?

use smtp.gmail.com in the SMTP server address instead of the IP address

@qknight1

Yes, I put the smtp.gmail.com in the SMTP server address but once the ip address of gamil changed, the vm to email did not work.
I must add a new ip route with the new gmail ip address to make it work.

Then you have a DNS issue and need to fix that.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

if you have a default IP route that routes traffic to the internet and proper DNS then this shouldn't be an issue.

do you have a route like this?
your gateway
LAN1
this is a default route to allow traffic out of the IP Office. The way you are showing us is locked down to only the address block listed.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back