Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMGR first time creating a cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan656

Vendor
Mar 6, 2009
US
Hi Everyone!

I have create two tie trunks off SMGR to an Application (all routing is built and good on each). I need to create 50/50 routing (weight based)
But am confused on how i set location when i build new Enity since it only has one drop down. Below is what i have done so far.

- Built new Domain name in SM and added both IP's to it with 50/50 weight.

Next steps:
-Need to Build new location? Not sure, but it fails when i try to add two IP's that i already have individually assigned
-Need to add Entity Cluster with new domain name, not sure what i set the location to, leave blank?
-Need to add Entity Link from new Domain to SM
-Create Route Policy with New Domain name and add to dial patterns where needed.

So i guess i have several questions - For new Entity can i use other as type? and for location do i leave blank or add new Domain to location which has both IP's? Also In creating a entity i can not add links that are already established, so do i have to break them prior to adding them to new Doman and should I have one for each SM in new SIP Entity i create?

Any documentation/help would be beneficial, as right now i am just guessing.

Thanks

So you want to be setup such that you send every odd numbered call to far end app server 1 and every even numbered call to app server 2?

Go in Session Manager-->Network Configuration-->Local Hostname Resolution

create a pretend fqdn - saiyan656.app, whatever. Make 2 lines with that FQDN, each line has the IP of one of the app servers, make the other fields equal - like weight and priority

Then, your single SIP entity in SM will be to sayan656.app. That will make SM resolve that FQDN based on the table in LHRN. If you put weight for 1 IP 60 and the other IP 40, then you get a 60/40 split.

Locations, domains, all that stuff are how to decide where you want to route a call - you know that already.

Local host name resolution is how you setup a destination to have many IPs to have priorities and weights

Thanks Kyle, but that's the part i already know :/ I need to know how to create SIP Entity as there is only one drop down for location (which both locations will need to be in ibelieve) also regarding establish links, do i need to terminate the current connected links and create 1 that has saiyan656.app to SM?

If you're creating an entity for your new app, the entity doesn't need a location. The location is used by SM to determine how to route calls that entity makes toward SM. So, if you're just terminating calls to the thing, location is irrelevant.

The only SIP entity that needs a location is a Session Manager. The decision works like this: if the IP of the oldest via header (like a phone) is in a "locations" IP pattern, SM will use that. If not, SM will use the location of the entity the call was received on. If that entity has no location, then the default will be the location of the SM entity.

For links, you can't have multiple links with same IP/port. So, you'd have 1 entity and 1 entity link to the thing in LHNR, but SM will get mad if you say sayan656.app has IPs 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.11 with ports 5061 in LHNR and you have 2 other SIP entities with just IP and links on port 5061. SM doesn't let you do that because if it received a call from that IP/port it wouldn't know if it were associated to one entity or the other.

Just an update as i resolved. I did have to remove the existing 2 entity links in each SIP Entity and add the cluster entity link to new SIP Entity cluster, and also had to remove location pattern IP for each and create new location with both IP's. I also update the existing Routing Policy to point to new cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back