Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2001
GB
For some reason, Windows XP Pro has been taking a while to get past the 'Welcome' screen (usually about 90 seconds). Once its in its fine but its just that stage where its slow.

I haven't installed anything recently and the drive was just recently scandisked\defragged so I can't think of why it would start doing this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

My 1st install of XP was speeded up by a surface scan of the HD with scandisk.

Check Microsoft support pages for UserEnvDebugLevel and follow the instructions

Well I downloaded BootVis and ran some of the tests. Then I found that 'Optimise' option and ran it.
When I selected it, I had to reboot. When the computer was back up, it went straight past the Welcome screen (as fast as it used to) and continued to run BootVis. Anyway, the optimising took ages...and when it rebooted, the Welcome screen was back to normal...taking ages to get past.

Thanks for the utility anyway, it'll probably come in useful.

Regards

Well, the utility may come in handy some day...

What programs are starting in the background when Windows fires up? Something is making it lag, perhaps some experimenting in the Startup section of msinfo32 will help. Begin by stopping an app at startup one by one until you come across the one that is giving XP fits.

Some excellent advice preceeds my 2¢ but you may benefit from an article at: This article will describe the entire boot up process, explaining about Win XP'x prefetch, Simple Boot Flag Specification and whether your system has it or not, and other useful information that you may use to speed up your computer. Additionally, there is a link to a program called BootVis. For those who want to go there right away, the link is: The BootVis program will describe how to use it to displays a number of graphs. Detailed help about each graph is also available in the program.

Suffice to say that these graphs represent the time required to load the different components mentioned as part of the boot process and this info might help you find your problem.. If not, by using 'Trace' and a few subsequent boots, I hope more improved boot time can be achieved...

Let us know how you make out... my fingers are crossed for you...

Try disabling any unrequired services that are running in background.

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Why it takes years to display right-click drop down menu?
thread779-277803

Some freeware or free trial programs you can play with to see if they help.

RegVac from
"Very Slow boot when networking.

Written By: Pete Erskine

On some XP Pro installations, when connected to a network (peer-peer in this case), the computer boot time is over 1:40. The system seems to freeze after logging in and the desktop may not appear or will freeze for a minute. As timed with the utility, Bootvis.exe, the problem was with the driver mrxsmb.dll, adding over 67 seconds to the boot time. Turning off and restoring file and printer sharing eliminated 65 seconds from the boot time.

1. Alt-click (or right click) on Network Places > Properties
2. Alt-click on Ethernet Adapter connection > properties
3. Un-check "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" > OK
4. reboot
5. If you need file or printer sharing, repeat the above, re-check the box and re-boot again.

Copyright © 2001 TweakXP.com OR the author if not written by TweakXP.com Staff"

I had a look in msconfig and the only programs listed in there are the ones which I've always had. I'm sure that I disabled that msn thing (I think thats what its called..) but it looks like its back again.
Does anyone know how to disable that automatic update because everytime I'm on the internet, its asks me if I want to check for updates (which aren't much good on a dial-up).
I've already got TweakXP so I'll have a look at that tonight. I also have RegVac which I've found to be quite useful. I haven't ran it for about a fortnight so I'll give that another go.

Thanks

To stop automatic updates do two things:

1. Right click My Computer-->Properties-->Automatic Updates and uncheck the box.
2. Go to the Services console (Start-->Run, type service.msc and ENTER), STOP the Automatic Updates service and set to either Manual or Disabled.

I just booted up and it went straight past the Welcome screen...I didn't do anything. Strange...must be one of those Windows things.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back