Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze66568

Technical User
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hey Im new to the forum
I recently aquired a pc and i dont remember the stats off hand but its an AMD 1GH with a 80 G hard drive an 256 Megs of ram. when i loaded my O/S and my basic drivers it would boot up with in 4-5 sec now after i loaded my ethernet card driver it will boot up too the windows splash screen then it will hang up for about 10 sec then it will go to the C prompt and waith there for about a min or so. finally it will get to the desk top but the whole boot up process takes about 3-4 mins. running out of ideas.

Thanx

Hi,

Is the network card hooked up to a cable modem of to a local network?
If you are connected to a local network, does the delay go away if the other systems on the network are already turned on?

Darrell,

I dont think its a problem with the card its self or the network. the Card isnt hooked up to cable at the moment. i just installed the drivers so that when im ready to get cable ill be ready. Let me see if i can restate the problem.
I turn restart the computer. BIOS recognizes everything, then you get the chip setting and clock screen with your extended mem. then it gets to the windows logo screen. eveything boots up fine up untill that point. then it hangs up for about 10 seconds. after that it takes me to a MSDOS C:=>
C:=>
then it hangs up for about a min or 3. i have time to change my cloths and come back before it will finaly get to the desk top.

You found your problem.

With no network cables for Windows to find, the delay is cause by Windows looking and looking for a valid network.
You can either remove the card until you are ready to install your network, put up with the delay until your network is complete, or go into the 'Device Manager' and disable the network card until you're ready for it.
This is a very common problem.

Darrell,

AHHH i see. i think that might be the problem. thanks alot.

i think you must remove te driver of network card and install it again

Another way is to assign it a fixed IP address within the private range, then when you get your cable set up, switch it back to DHCP.

192.168.1.1 is fine.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back