Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slice 6 will not automount using vfstab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnull

MIS
Oct 30, 2003
US
Here is the scenario...

I wanted to reconfigure the file system so that I could utilize the disk space better and so that I could mirror my drives. I followed some instructions on how to move each slice over to a new drive and then finally move the root partition over to a new drive. Everything worked well up until I created a mirror for slice 6 which is used for /export/home. I updated the vfstab and restarted and everything mounted except /export/home. A manual mount of the device works fine without any errors.
I have tried the following:
1. double checked and rebuilt from scratch vfstab file
2. fsck /dev/md/dsk/d6
3. checked the /usr/adm/messages files for errors. none found
4. metastat d6 is okay
5. restart server and it is still not mounting!

Here is the vfstab file in case I missed something.
# cat /etc/vfstab
#device device mount FS fsck mount mount
#to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options
#
fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
/proc - /proc proc - no -
/dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 / ufs 1 no -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 - - swap - no -
/dev/md/dsk/d3 - /usr ufs 1 no -
/dev/md/dsk/d4 - /var ufs 1 no -
/dev/md/dsk/d5 - /opt ufs 2 yes -
/dev/md/dsk/d6 - /export/home ufs 2 no -
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 - /backups ufs 2 yes -
/devices - /devices devfs - no -
ctfs - /system/contract ctfs - no -
objfs - /system/object objfs - no -
swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -

Thanks for taking a look!

You have "mount at boot" option set to "no"
Code:
# cat /etc/vfstab
#device         device          mount           FS      fsck    mount   mount
#to mount       to fsck         point           type    pass    at boot options
#
/dev/md/dsk/d6     -          /export/home       ufs     2       [b]no[/b]      -

Change it to yes.
Code:
#
/dev/md/dsk/d6     -          /export/home       ufs     2       [b]yes[/b]      -

Also... why aren't you setting a "device to fsck" for anything other than /?

JEZZZ I knew it was something stupid. I am faily new to Unix and I was going off of the vfstab man page. I misunderstood the mount at boot to mean that "yes" would mount it during the first part of the boot i.e. like making it available in a failsafe mode or something.

But that brings up another question... why is /usr /var and / all mounting? they are also set to "no".

I am assuming that it is reccomended that I add all the mounts to have the "device to fsck"?

Thanks!!!

When the system first boots up (Single-User) /, /usr, and /var are mounted. See /etc/rcS and /etc/rcS.d/ for some specifics on this.

Later (see /etc/rc1 and /etc/rc1.d/) the non-core filesystems are mounted by a mountall script/command uses switches such as yes or no in the vfstab.

Yes, you'll want to add "device to fsck" for all of your devices. To be honest, I've never tried to boot a system without entries there. I'm glad it worked for you.
Code:
#
fd      -       /dev/fd fd      -       no      -
/proc   -       /proc   proc    -       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d0  /dev/md/rdsk/d0 /       ufs     1       no      -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1       /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s1       -       swap    -       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d3  /dev/md/rdsk/d3       /usr    ufs     1       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d4  /dev/md/rdsk/d4       /var    ufs     1       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d5  /dev/md/rdsk/d5       /opt    ufs     2       yes     -
/dev/md/dsk/d6  /dev/md/rdsk/d6       /export/home    ufs     2       yes      -
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0       /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0       /backups        ufs     2       yes     -
/devices        -       /devices        devfs   -       no      -
ctfs    -       /system/contract        ctfs    -       no      -
objfs   -       /system/object  objfs   -       no      -
swap    -       /tmp    tmpfs   -       yes     -

Oh, and while you're at it, mirror your swap space. I'm guessing those ufs metadevices are mirrors. You should also mirror your swap space because if you are using it and the drive crashes... Well it won't be pretty.

Also consider logging as a mount option on your ufs devices. (See the mount man page) It will make it more difficult to perform ufsdumps while the system is active, (you have to detach mirrors) but it increases the chance for a better system recovery after a crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back