Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Review.. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wullie

Programmer
Mar 17, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I've just completed yet another re-design of my site and am looking for any comments, good or bad.

There are a few things not yet in place, and a few problems that I already know of, I just want to see if anyone here finds anything else.

The site is a lot more basic that my previous one, but that was the whole point, I wanted something simple, fast loading, easy to naigate and maintain.

Thanks in advance, Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Almost! I now have the left and top aligning correctly, but the right still doesn't, and I'm assuming the bottom would add padding of 10px, too. Why don't they just add support for css's margin!!!

Rick

Hi mate,

Try adding the css as the following just to test it, but keep the body code in place.

body {
margin-top:0px;
margin-bottom:0px;
margin-left:0px;
margin-right:0px;
}

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

:-S still not working. If this is what you used I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is something wrong with the table.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi mate,

The margins are actually working correctly on that page, the reason it shows the space is that is reserved for the scrollbar, but because the page has none it shows as a white space.

For a example of what I mean,
Hope this helps Wullie

Whew! At least there is a reason behind it "not working"! So there is no way to get rid of that margin? overflow:auto might work, and I have been thinking of using it for the site anyway, but it brings unpleasant duplicate scrollbars in Netscape 6.2. Any tips on that?

You get a star for saving me lots of time trying useless experiments!

Rick

Delayed reply due to business trip.

wullie/Ristmo:
I do get quite a delay sometimes on some sites - a lot I am sure depends on the time difference though which is why I mentioned it. For example, right now it 12:20pm where I am and tek-tips loads in seconds but if I try to visit say in the late evening our time it can take quite awhile to load and I often get a "Can't find Server" error due the delay - and as always I have pictures turned off. There are other times when loading a N.A. site is much faster than a U.K. site and vice-versa. I'll try again when it is after midnight in the U.K. and the gamers have gone to bed.

Accessing other Asian sites is quick and usually accessing our website which we host in Canada (but which has a main router in NY) is within a few seconds.

I live right across the street from the telecom branch BTW.

wullie: I wouldn't view my access time as typical though - all of my access has to go through at least different gateways before I can even get out of China.

Thanks for the info on colored scroll bars - believe it or not it was the previous - and now known as erroneous - info I had read about non-support for them, and of course some java problems (now also solved) that has kept me from updating to IE6.

Hi wullie,
Just checked again - 9:56pm China time or 1:56pm UK time. Pictures off, first run script request in 12 seconds, top frame in another 8 seconds and full page load in a total of 29 seconds. Main time drain has to be a reflection of activity here.

In another interesting time test - this topic took 53 seconds to load after clicking the link on the main forum page. [surprise]

Hi mate,

Personally, I could not stand waiting that long for a page to load, I would have clicked close well before then...

As for the top frame loading, I don't and never have used frames.... [cry] Wullie

Very nicely done graphic then.

I turned pics back on and of course it showed through as a graphic background.

Loading time is only a concern when I am working - not when I'm learning or trying to assist and it isn't always so treacle-like, including your site.

For example, just now - 9:24pm my time, 1:24pm your time - I clicked on the Sample for 'Mail to Santa' from the 'Design' page and it was 6 seconds for the first script alert and only another 10 until the page for the sample was fully loaded (with pics on).

Just to check, when you checked out our corporate site from the UK, how long did it take to load?

Still think the changing graphics above your vertical nav bar unique.

Well Wullie - Hi mate!

If it wasn't for this site, I would never have discovered the secret of resizing in different resolutions - so thanks for that!
I am looking at include files now (just learning) but I see that you use css - which is best?

I would also be interested to know the statistics on sites visited that are static, flash driven or interactive for example.
My guess would be most people just want the information and then go somewhere else.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Wullie,
you do not use frames for your site ??? Pure table ???

Kelvin

Ermmm.... Remember you guys were talking about some rollover pics that took time to load ??? Why I do not see any ??? U removed them, Wullie ???

Kelvin

colcrys

I have tried that IP twice a day since the day that you posted it and it times out everytime.

Kelvin

No frames, pure tables [wink] Out of all the sites that I have on the net, none of the ones accessible to the general public have ever used frames. The only ones that use frames are admin areas/intranet sites.

When I designed the site, I never thought that people would think that it looked like frames, I might need to consider this in the future.

And yes, I did remove the images and replaced them with css.

Thanks guys, Wullie

Ermmm... What do u mean when u said u remove those pics with CSS ??? (Confused)

Kelvin

The menu text rollovers used to be done with images. Now it is done with css.

Rick

Hi wullie,
Our host did a change and 'neglected' to let me know.

now 64.141.41.216

Thanks
colcrys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back