Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Review.. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wullie

Programmer
Mar 17, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I've just completed yet another re-design of my site and am looking for any comments, good or bad.

There are a few things not yet in place, and a few problems that I already know of, I just want to see if anyone here finds anything else.

The site is a lot more basic that my previous one, but that was the whole point, I wanted something simple, fast loading, easy to naigate and maintain.

Thanks in advance, Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

IE6, T3, to many proxies to count
5.5 seconds load time after initial load (gave it one free load to find DNS)
to put this in perspective, google takes a minimum of 2.5 seconds here and much longer for searches.

The roolovers are now beautiful, no pause or hesitation at all. I'm willing to bet the overall speed of the site is up as well because if the speed has increased to the point where I am getting a faster connection now with all the network traffic here, my home connection will probably try to download half of china just to keep from burning out the monitor by displaying your page before I type in the address :)

The rest of the site still looks good and the only question I have is...

Did you get to meet santa when you developed his site? I just noticed that on my last lok through :b

-Tarwn
"If you eat a live toad first thing in the morning, nothing worse will happen all day long." - California saying
"To you or the toad" - Niven's restatement of California saying
"-well most of the time anyway..." - programmers caveat to Niven's restatement of California saying
(The Wiz Biz - Ri

Hmm. That is strange. I am using IE 6 and the images are not preloading. It took about 15-20 seconds to load completely today and still another .5-1 second per rollover image.

Rick

Hi Guys,

I have changed all the images to use CSS instead, could a few of you check it out please and let me know if it all works ok.

The links don't actually point anywhere yet.

Thanks in advance, Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

impressive wullie
everything works great here and looks great A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Perfect. :) Loading time is minimal and the rollovers are instant. Good job!

Rick

Hi wullie,
Probably not very applicable as I don't actually live in your target market but anyway:

Load time in Asia - 2:30pm Sunday (about 7:30am in the UK)- with pictures off - 14 sec. until the first script request and then another 31 secs for the entire page to load.

Pictures turned on - again 14 sec for the first script request but a total after that of 1 min 5 secs for the entire page to load.

Going to a linked page - less than 30 secs without pics, 45 with and the same 14 sec for the first script request.

One thing unusual - in the nav bar when I mouseover - if I stay away from the text the cursor does not change but if I am 'sloppy' let's say and I mouseover a word the cursor changes to an 'insert text' cursor. Link still works so no problems I just thought it unusual.

AS for design - nice and clean (as you know I appreciate). Lovely use of blue/white and not hard to view at all. I like the changing small pic above the vert nav bar with each page - lends some individuality to each page that otherwise are the same.

Also, a question please, I know you use IE6 and one of the reasons I don't want to change from IE5.5 is that I had heard that colored (or coloured ;-) )scrollbars are not supported in IE6 - and yet you use colored scroll bars (that of course show in my IE5.5 and look much better than the bog-standard gray chosen by MS) ... have I been misinformed and do colored scroll bars actually show accurately in IE6?

wullie,
forgot to mention - ADSL (albeit a slow ADSL).

Nice Job Wullie,

didn't look extensively but off the bat, small problem with Opera 6.01.
On all your pages, it seems the pages are shifted down a 1/4 inch and right a 1/4 inch, although this page seems to be fine >
Okay two more little things I found affecting Opera 6.01 and netscape 6.02: viewing at 800 X 600
These two things are probably related;
I have to scroll left to right about a half inch and when I do
I notice the top banner (logo) sticks out a little to the right.

Okay, one more thing...
I just noticed your main navbar on the left, again with Opera the background colour when hovering does not show up, but is fine in netscape and explorer 5.5.

I haven't looked at your code, but is that Javascript ??
You may want to consider using css . I'm actually re-designing my site as well and am using css for my hover buttons and no problems with them showing up in all 3 browsers.

Cheers !!

Later, Skater

Thanks guys,

colcrys

Please tell me that this load time is usual for you, otherwise I have a serious problem.

The cursor part puzzles me, I don't understand why. I don't have access to IE5 at this time, but I will try to get access tonight and check it out.

Oh, and coloured scrollbars do show in IE6, I only added them to the site last night because I was bored..

fxcolin

Opera is a sore point with me just now, I am trying to code a workaround for the navbar. I am trying to get the full cell to work onclick and not just the text. I will probably end up using a server side browser check and then adding images instead for opera users.

The horizontal scrolling is something I am aware of, I am working on that. The image that sticks out is not the problem with this, that sticks out because the image is larger than 800x600 to cater for higher resolutions, so when a scrollbar appears, that image shows wider than the rest of the page.

As for the margins, that was my own fault, I changed them last night to use css for the margins instead and forgot to test it in Opera, I have now fixed that issue.

Once again, thanks guys, I appreciate it.. Wullie

Hey Wullie, I didn't realized that you changed the menu to text. That's why loading was so much faster. But I don't agree with you this time-- colcrys, please tell me that that is not a typical load time!!! I am hoping to get ADSL next week or two. I live in Jordan and when I checked my connection speed as compared with Asia, I got "very poor". Maybe I should stay on dialup!!!

How did you get rid of the margins? On my newest site, I am using margin=0;, and although the background image tiles the whole page, the table that everything is contained in (with width set to 100%) still has the 10px margins around it--only in Opera. I have been thinking of dropping support for Opera and Netscape for most of the site, because of their poor support for Arabic (Opera writes left to right!!!), but I'd like to have the english version working at least. I've already tried setting margins for the table to 0, also, if anyone knows of how to make arabic work in Opera or Netscape, please help!!!

Rick

Hi mate,

To remove the margins, I added the following:

body {
margin-top:0px;
margin-bottom:0px;
margin-left:0px;
margin-right:0px;
}

And then in the page I use the normal body topmargin="0" etc etc.

Opera ignores the css but reads the body tag.

Hope this helps Wullie

That didn't work. I have

body{
margin:0;
}

and

<body topmargin=&quot;0&quot; leftmargin=&quot;0&quot; rightmargin=&quot;0&quot; bottommargin=&quot;0&quot;>

I don't think that the last two are valid attributes, but I stuck them in there just to see--no results.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi mate,

Try the following instead.

<body leftmargin=&quot;0&quot; topmargin=&quot;0&quot; marginwidth=&quot;0&quot; marginheight=&quot;0&quot;>

Hope this helps Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back