Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Migration Problems, anyone? 1

Chriss Miller

Programmer
Aug 14, 2024
That didn't go well for me,

I couldn't login to my old account!
Anyone else had the same problem?

It may not be worth mending, because it's easy to create a new account, but I wonder what went wrong.

What I know from the old site is, what I found out by accident: The password you use also works, if you enter it all lower case and only use the first 10 characters.
Maybe that's not true anymore now after migration. Theoretically it should not matter, as long as it's not the passowrd but a (cryptographically secure, of course) password hash is stored. To still work, the same login mechnism is necessary also on the new site, i.e. the same hash algorithm used, etc. Seems there is something gone astray.

Otherwise, let's see how this new site look and feel works out, Forum TGML seems to still exist...
Code:
USE table.dbf

Chriss

Yep, I couldn't log in. With help from tek-tips I'm back.
I'm not sure I like the new layout, it's quite a difference and I was used to the old style.

Regards, Gerrit

That didn't go well for me,

I couldn't login to my old account!
Anyone else had the same problem?

It may not be worth mending, because it's easy to create a new account, but I wonder what went wrong.

What I know from the old site is, what I found out by accident: The password you use also works, if you enter it all lower case and only use the first 10 characters.
Maybe that's not true anymore now after migration. Theoretically it should not matter, as long as it's not the passowrd but a (cryptographically secure, of course) password hash is stored. To still work, the same login mechnism is necessary also on the new site, i.e. the same hash algorithm used, etc. Seems there is something gone astray.

Otherwise, let's see how this new site look and feel works out, Forum TGML seems to still exist...
Code:
USE table.dbf

Chriss
Is there some help info available. Having used Tek-Tips for many years I am getting absolutely nowhere with this new site.

Any help appreciated.

I think google may be your friend here - the software is now XenForo, so google "xenforo edit post" for example

Chriss, you used a mispelling of your name, that's why it didn't work for you, your old account is still there, waiting for you to log in.
No Griff, you're completely misinterpreting the situation,. I know my old account was Chris Miller. I created this new account and, of course, couldn't reuse the old name, as account names need to be unique.

Do you really think I tried to log into an account that didn't exist before today? You'll get the information that an account doesn't exist, if you try to log in to a wrong account name. Or do you even think I created the account by trying to log into it, i.e. a blatant forum security loophole that creates accounts by credentials (user name and password) given in a login?

Do you mean you don't want all your old posts linked to your account - they are still there accessible as Chris Miller as you say.

Perhaps you can get a moderator to shift them across to your new account

thanks Chriss!
I had been trying to log into this since yesterday afternoon. Requesting a password reset was never received.
I saw your post saying that the pw is only the 1st 10 characters of the password. Since mine was at 11, I removed the last and it let me in.

I guess I'll update my profile in a bit.

Do you mean you don't want all your old posts linked to your account - they are still there accessible as Chris Miller as you say.
It would be nice, but I can live without that.
Now, before you point out the password reset/recovery feature, just reread all I wrote already.

Last edited:
Hello,

not a problem, but it would be nice to see additionally the date thread was created

Regards and thanks
tom

By the way, I'm no moderator here, if you see anything that could be of interest to Tek-Tips themselves, perhaps use the rpoert feature and tell them about it.

I don't think wel'll get all features 1:1 as they were previously, they surely tweaked the XENforo forum software as much to reflect the BB tags, etc. we're used to as TGML, but XENforo is not the old tek-tips forum for sure and will have lost and gained features. All in all I welcome a better look and feel, the default font size could be a bit bigger would be my first priority wish. Not yet sure whether I'll miss the old search feature, for example.

And since I start fresh I can't tell whether the forum list you subscribed to has moved over here or not, apart from the knowledgebase of threads you saved to it for your revisiting. And the FAQ section. At first glimkpse it's too short, but it has 24 pages...

I'd say they managed the transition quite well, all complaints from not being used to the new forum will likely go away over time, that's always a thing with a new software, users are not used to. We know that, don't we?

When revisting older threads, indeed one of the things I thought would still work out is highlighting. So highlight tags appear in code, for example, making it hard to copy and run code with such features, not supported anymore. Not sure if there are more.

Looking into the delete/edit problem.

All in all I welcome a better look and feel, the default font size could be a bit bigger would be my first priority wish.
Message footer has bigger font size than message content.

Color contrast it's very poor.

I managed to log into my old account (this one). Wth the help of my own advice, actually.

Well done Chriss, did you need to reset your password like I did?

Mike Lewis, I'm sure I know my password for Tek-Tips, but it didn't work. Password recovery also didn't work for me and so I simply created a new account.

At my my age i find the best way is to write all your passwords on sticky notes and put them on a cork board next to the computer, that way there's nothing to forget !

:)

Joking Obvs

Colin

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back