Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Migration Problems, anyone? 1

Chriss Miller

Programmer
Aug 14, 2024
That didn't go well for me,

I couldn't login to my old account!
Anyone else had the same problem?

It may not be worth mending, because it's easy to create a new account, but I wonder what went wrong.

What I know from the old site is, what I found out by accident: The password you use also works, if you enter it all lower case and only use the first 10 characters.
Maybe that's not true anymore now after migration. Theoretically it should not matter, as long as it's not the passowrd but a (cryptographically secure, of course) password hash is stored. To still work, the same login mechnism is necessary also on the new site, i.e. the same hash algorithm used, etc. Seems there is something gone astray.

Otherwise, let's see how this new site look and feel works out, Forum TGML seems to still exist...
Code:
USE table.dbf

Chriss

Chriss

I did have something of a problem, because I forgot my password.
Mike G forgot he had a space in his name...

Yourself

I could not access my old account much less log in to it.

But, SOME of my info migrated here, so I was able to login here without creating a new account.

Hi,

Starting TT always shows "Oops we had a little problem ... page not found" but then continues
Deleting a post does not seem to be possible anymore - at least I did not find a way to do so
VFP is NOT considered as programming language (see under CODE) - is BB code the right choice if I want to add some coding?
I have to ALWAYS uncheck "Stay logged in"

MarK

test, test from old Opera.... Not good for me. Sans Serif font not is readable font for me.

Last edited:
When I tried to log in, the password manager in my browser (Firefox) offered two login names: my actual name, and my email address. Tek Tips did not recognise the first of those, but it did recognise the email address. Fortunately, the password manager had saved my password (after more than 20 years), so I was able to log in.

Obviously, there is going to be a lot to get used to here.

Mike

With the help of GriffMG i was able to log into my old account, thanks GriffMG.

Has anyone found out if it's possible to "Go to first unread post" in a Thread?

EDIT: Just found out that it will go to a 'NEW' Post if one exists otherwise it goes to the 'First Post'.

Last edited:
I think it's not bad, need an edit and a delete for own posts

Mike Lewis, I'm sure I know my password for Tek-Tips, but it didn't work. Password recovery also didn't work for me and so I simply created a new account.

Chriss, you used a mispelling of your name, that's why it didn't work for you, your old account is still there, waiting for you to log in.

Ask for a password reset and away you go.

Hi,

Starting TT always shows "Oops we had a little problem ... page not found" but then continues
Deleting a post does not seem to be possible anymore - at least I did not find a way to do so
VFP is NOT considered as programming language (see under CODE) - is BB code the right choice if I want to add some coding?
I have to ALWAYS uncheck "Stay logged in"

MarK
I think you may be using an old link that isn't compatible with the new site, I had to edit mine to remove the reference to a .chm script

Hi Griff,

MarK

1. Starting TT always shows "Oops we had a little problem ... page not found" but then continues
  2. Deleting a post does not seem to be possible anymore - at least I did not find a way to do so
  3. VFP is NOT considered as programming language (see under CODE) - is BB code the right choice if I want to add some coding?
  4. I have to ALWAYS uncheck "Stay logged in"
Griff

I think you may be using an old link that isn't compatible with the new site,

ad 1) You're right - problem fixed

All the others (2 ... 4) remain unsolved

MarK

I agree, we need a delete and an edit.

BTW where is LU?

Has anyone found the equivalent of the tt section for 'white papers'

The old site just asked for language, if you used the code tag interactively, IIRC, or was there a list of languages? Forums/Bullettin boards usually only support the most used/known languages and I don't know any one supporting VFP/FoxPro, that was also never an option in the old site.

I think General Code will do no syntax colouring at all, just courier font, BB code will allow to use things like highlighting text, just as in normal post text outside CODE sections, so yes, I think that's the best choice for at least having that abilities. What you'll likely never see here is VFP code with green comments.

There's not much you lose in comparison with the code formatting within VFP and syntax highlighting is immediately there, after you copy over code from the forum into a PRG or method/event, no big deal, is it?
BTW, there's much in the IDE you can configure and it pays to pick another color for strings within code, as it highlights, where you may miss a string delimiter. Code coloiuring is configurable so individually within the VFP IDE, how should forum/bullet board formatting be done right, anyway? By the defaults of the IDE? Then all you actually would miss is green colouring of comments.

Last edited:

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back