Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP to ISDN (E1) converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 20, 2007
SE
Hi,
Has anyone tried this?
Meaning, the provider uses SIP to there endpoint in our datacenter and we connect our PBX via ISDN (E1) on the other end?
If so, what hardware is the converter?
Has the service worked well?

Yep pretty common these days
they deleiver the sip to a media gateway (IAD) that converts it to a variant of ISDN

- benefits
- sip is effectively proxided by the IAD ( all speech and signalling)
- if pabx is existing with ISDN card - no additional licensing is required
- if pabx is old software no need to upgrade to get improved SIP support

- drawbacks
- limited to the amount of ISDn channels the IAD and ISDN card supports
- another point of failure
- SIP might be delivered as compressed traffic which may prevent Faxing
- Some IADs are not Suitable for high traffic ( call centre) environments
- unable to benefit from improved SIP Support when terminating the trunks natively

We have had mixed results with IADS supplied by the carrier
- our preference is to use MBG as sip proxy where required and terminate sip trunks via that to MIVB

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Hi
It's working fine. I used Sangoma Before. But there was less information on doing that.
But do it As sip using MBG it's better and easy for troubleshoot.

Thanks for the answers.
This means that we will have no ISDN and the MBG connected to our network. With IAD´s there is no type of IP connection from our network, just an E1/ISDN.
Right now our security team says that we must have SBC´s on the outside and inside for this and the MBG is not approved yet for use in our DMZ as SBC.
So to buy us some time (to get MBG approved) and for a cheapter cost as a short time solution we started to look at these converters as our providers want to close down E1/ISDN.

This means that we will have no ISDN and the MBG connected to our network. With IAD´s there is no type of IP connection from our network, just an E1/ISDN.

That's correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back