Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Phones for IPOffice 500v2 Running Manager 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher7836

Technical User
Dec 20, 2010
US
We want to use the Avaya SIP Phones for our users in other states. We now use the Avaya VPN phones (5610 SW IP), but the ISP is collapsing the VPN tunnel so users get calls dropped every 5 minutes. Years back when I used SIP phones of FreePBX we never had dropped calls. So could someone tell me soup to nuts what I need to do?

1. What licenses do I need for our 5 remote users
2. How do I configure for SIP in the Manager?
3. How do I configure the phones?

Could an Avaya VPN phone run in SIP mode so we wouldn't have to worry about the VPN?

You do not want just SIP phones over the internet as you will be hacked straight away.
If you do then a SBC is required but way overkill for just a couple extensions.
Get a proper provider or a proper VPN router.
What router do you have now?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

IP Office only supports these phones (56xx) with H.323 software.

We have a Fortinet VPN router, but we had also tried it using a Watchguard VPN router. We're not too concerned about our calls being hacked into. We don't discuss credit card information or anything like that. Those remote users just call random people to let them know about our charity.

They don't hack the system and listen to calls, they hack the system and make calls or forward calls to numbers of their choice, or just DoS attack it so it ends up falling over. SIP phones will not traverse NAT any better than H323 in this instance, the only difference is the setup messaging, the codecs and voice path are identical :)

Would an H323 phone such as the Avaya 9610 eliminate the need for a VPN connection? I don't mind SIP or H323 I just don't want to have to worry about what some Internet providers do with the tunnel VPN phones create. Let's say that the 9610 turns out to be great for our remote users....what kind of license do I need to get those phones to work? A remote worker license? SIP license? I'm still confused on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back