Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP on commmunications manageer 3.1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCBOYD

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
US
Does anyone know if SIP is working on communications manager 3.1.4? We are looking to upgrade to exchange 2010 and would like to incorporate unified messaging to our Avaya syatem.

you can get an external SIP server, the built is SES(SIP) on the S8300C/D was not standard until CM 5.2, I beleive.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Thanks for the reply.
Is there any documentation for the configuration on the Definity and the SES SIP server?

You could also utilize a media gateway to convert T1 or H.323 to SIP as long as you have QSIG turned on.

From the replies I gather that with my 8710 running 3.1.4 I will need an external SIP (SES)server and I can use SIP trunk groups to connect to the Microsoft exchange unified messaging server.

Yes, with any type of S87XX platform you would need an external SES (SIP) server, even if it where CM 5, it would still need to be external.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I heard from an BP that you can use an gateway instead of SES for SIP trunking directly with CM 5. But everything I see from Avaya lists the SES as being needed. If SES is going away I sure don't want to spend money on an dead product.

This guide is what I found recently for SIP trunking on Avaya.

SES is not "going away" it is being superseded by the larger product called "Avaya Session Manager" which is a much larger SIP based server. SES is still built into CM5 and you can still get it as a standalone product on an S8800 or an S8510. It is used with Modular Messaging all the time, since now MM is SIP only...

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

You can also use a QSIG PRI from your Avaya, run it to a media gateway and connect to Microsoft (or MM) that way. No SES, no upgrade.

vaoldschl
COuld you give me more info on the QSID PRI info?
Thanks

Check out your system-parameters customer options and look for the QSIG page. You need supplementary services stroked to yes to set this up. Then do a Google on audiocodes or dialogic media gateways (just a starter there are a couple other manufacturers).

To make it work you would do a line side PRI to the media gateway using QSIG (I'm getting ready to do it with H.323 QSIG to save using a DS1). The media gateway would convert the ISDN to SIP and talk to the Microsoft UC server (or OCS if that was what you wanted). The forwarding to UC takes place on the Avaya side utilizing a hunt group routing to the trunk group associated with the line side PRI. QSIG protocol with rerouting gets the call to the media gateway and ensures that calls to x1234 end up in 1234s mailbox. This is a 40K foot view but hopefully can get you started.

Although not "officially supported" you can get SIP to go directly from CM5.x to the OCS Mediation Server. I did away with our SES over a year ago since we are not using SIP endpoints.

If you use OCS for more than just voicemail You need to carefully evaluate items such as survivability and E911 functionality. These are 2 items that can get you into hot water and open your company up to liability issues. You better have a damn good Microsoft Partner to use for the OCS implementation.

You may also want to get the details on Avaya's UC products and how they integrate. Voice, VM, IM, and Conferencing through one integrated client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back