Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single versus dual processor configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkrider

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have inherited an old HP Netserver E60 currently running a PIII 500. I am fortunate enough to have on hand a couple of PII 400s. This server supports a dual processor configuration, so would it be beneficial to me to install both the PII 400s instead? This will only be for home use, so I'm not sure if there would actually be any benefit to this configuration, but I'm just curious. From my basic understanding, couldn't one CPU be allocated to the OS and individual applications assigned to the other in order to achieve more effective performance?

Here is a question?
Are the PII 400's a matched set or individual cpu's from other computers?

this is a very important because you can get alot of grief if the cpu's are incompatable.

Dual processor is great for server apps and some cpu intensive apps...but these older machines suck as a Gamer machine... lots of video card issues due to the dual processor bus channels....I have 3 or 4 machines. just to note...the high end graphic cards that are used for the CAD systems and plotting work great

Actually, the machine is going out to someone who is asking me to combine a couple of systems of his. He was given (or purchased) this HP Netserver. He has a lousy video card in it, so I don't think he will be planning on doing much gaming. (I don't think a PIII 500 would be capable of much gaming in the first place). I happen to have a couple of PII 400s as I mentioned that were pulled out of systems at a company I worked at. They all came from the same model of IBM machines, so I would assume they are all essentially the same processor. I was thinking my client and I could both benefit if I gave him 2 PII 400s in exchange for his 500, but I don't want to do that if it wouldn't be to his benefit. I don't have a dual processor MB, so the 500 would be an upgrade for me in another system. Does this help any?

It's really going to depend on the application. Generally, if you will be running multiple applications or applications that generate multiple threads, then the second CPU will be useful. If you're running Windows and one application most of the time, then you won't get much benefit at all.

There's no way (running Windows) to dedicate one CPU to the OS and another to the applications, as Windows dynamically assigns threads based on workload. There can be a small benefit to having a second CPU from multitasking the OS and system utilities (antivirus, firewall, etc), but it's hard to say that it would make a significant difference in your case, especially since the Pentium III has architectural improvements that will make it faster than an equivalently clocked Pentium II.

You can't split the assignments of each CPU, as kmcferrin stated. Every application and process in windows must go through the OS kernel for operation execution. Therefore, whatever CPU the "OS" is assigned to (as you put it), would still inherently involve every process running in Windows.

A dual-CPU configuration really only has its advantages when there are a lot of separate processes running at once eating up high CPU kernel time. This doesn't benefit just one application much, unless it was designed to split itself up into separate threads that the OS would share between both CPU's. Adobe Photoshop/Premiere are two examples that do this nicely. But besides the few exceptions like those, you might barely notice any real speed increase unless you heavily multitask.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Ah! So the processors are NOT matched...the machine may work or it may start to glitch on you (weird errors).

Because the processors are out of the same model does not mean they are the same Lot number and manufacured the same as a matched pair would be.

hey it doesn't hurt to try....you will know right from the beginning as you load the new OS if they are gonna give you grief

good luck

thanks everyone... sounds like there is not much of a benefit for the person I'm giving it to. If it were staying with me I'd probably do it just to play with it, but no real benefit otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back