Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comcast - Share single connection between offices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got three customers that have single room offices in the same building, same floor. One of them has Comcast business class internet service. Wondering if it's legal to let the other two share that internet connection if the Comcast customer is willing. It wouldn't be reselling if the connection owner is giving the service away. I know reselling is a no-no.

One of them is a lawyer - I ought to make him answer the question!

I would probably run a cable and give both secondary moochers a router to isolate their internal networks and provide separate wifi.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

So, how would that work with setting up a guest WiFi? I see in the WiFi TOS it states patrons can have access. Does that mean, that Offices 2 and 3 could have access to the WiFi, if they had a business relationship to office 1, as long as they didn't host a server, or a website? Is there a different level of agreement with comcast and the business service like a rider, for an increased cost, that would allow this?

My head is hurting. I think what Comcast will do is sell internet to Mr. Office building owner at much higher price than individual internet connection rate so they can provide internet to their tenants. Probably still NOT allowed to sell it to them. It would be like "free heat" as part of your rent.

Bottom line - I have three cheap customers all in a row conspiring and one of them is a lawyer. I will post back what they want to do. Haven't heard anything since emailing yesterday.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back